Olympic Torch procession. Who are these people?

Why anyone would want to watch people walking around carrying a large gold coloured cigarette lighter beats me.

Hahaha. Why people want to pay a fortune to see Lycra clad skinny folks running around in circles in London beats me. I guess it's only slightly less lame than travelling there to watch an OAP named Liz stand up and pretend to wave. :)

The minders are police officers and under common law anybody can use force to protect themselves or somebody else if there is an imminent threat to their safety.

Yeah they can and have used this one two occasions, one they pushed a man in a bush for trying to touch it, and on the second it was an elderly Italian woman.

The difference between this and Ian Tomlinson (The guy the police pushed over who died) is that Ian wasn't an immediate threat to anybody, he wasn't even a threat. Which is why the cop is in court for manslaughter right now.

Imagine the nut jobs that would wreak havoc if they knew nothing would happen to them if they tried getting close to the torch, it would be chaos.

On another point, I held the Olympic torch recently. It was good.

Why anyone would want to watch people walking around carrying a large gold coloured cigarette lighter beats me.

Especially one which keeps going out.:hihi:

...I held the Olympic torch recently. It was good.

Which torch - out of the many thousands - is the 'Olympic' torch?

I wonder how many knock-offs (or unwanted/unused 'spares' )are on or will be on the market?

Especially one which keeps going out.:hihi:

Which torch - out of the many thousands - is the 'Olympic' torch?

I wonder how many knock-offs (or unwanted/unused 'spares' )are on or will be on the market?

Yeah it wasn't a knock off if that's what you're trying to insinuate, it was someone who carried it on the relay and bought it.

And the Olympic torch is a torch used to carry the Olympic flame, which it did.

Can you please stop pⅰssing on my strawberries? I held the Olympic torch.

Yeah it wasn't a knock off if that's what you're trying to insinuate, it was someone who carried it on the relay and bought it.

I wasn't suggesting that the one you touched was a knock-off. But I wonder how many knock offs are going to find their way onto the market.

...And the Olympic torch is a torch used to carry the Olympic flame, which it did.

So if anybody managed to get a light from an Olympic torch (or from the 'mother flame' that is used to relight it when it goes out) and apply that flame to a copy of an Olympic torch, then that copy would also become an Olympic torch - it would've been used to carry the Olympic flame.

I wonder whether figures for the number of Olympic torches re-sold will ever be published?

I wonder whether that figure will be much greater than the number actually used?

Can you please stop pⅰssing on my strawberries? I held the Olympic torch.

Have you got strawberries in Sheffield yet? (I thought it was still too cold and too wet.)

Enjoy your strawberries :) - and I'm glad you were able to hold a 'real' Olympic torch.

So if anybody managed to get a light from an Olympic torch (or from the 'mother flame' that is used to relight it when it goes out) and apply that flame to a copy of an Olympic torch, then that copy would also become an Olympic torch - it would've been used to carry the Olympic flame.

There is no such thing as A flame. Flames are a chemical reaction as a gas burns. So the flame on each olympic torch has no part of the flame that lit it and therefore no part of the fire they lit in Athens a month or so ago. So you may as well light the fake torch with a match as it would be just as authentic (or not) as one lit with the real thing.

There is no such thing as A flame. Flames are a chemical reaction as a gas burns. So the flame on each olympic torch has no part of the flame that lit it and therefore no part of the fire they lit in Athens a month or so ago. So you may as well light the fake torch with a match as it would be just as authentic (or not) as one lit with the real thing.

The gas went out under the paella I was cooking earlier. I used the Olympic Flame to relight it.

I apologise for stretching this thread a bit but feel like pointing out...

The Mayor of London joined 2012 supremo Lord Coe on Tower Bridge to mark the final countdown to the start of the London Olympics.

The giant set of Olympic rings will dangle from Tower Bridge in a bid to “excite and inspire” Londoners, with just one month to go until the opening ceremony.

Asked to explain their significance, Mr Johnson quoted the Baron Pierre de Coubertin, the father of the modern Games, and suggested that the five interlaced rings represented “athleticism, sportsmanship, exertion, poverty, chastity”.

eer .maybe the sister rings should be included;... prostitution - organised criminal Networks cybercrime, . Missiles stand ready. And Big Brother is watching like never before. The London Olympics are no ordinary games. Olympic security is out of control and irrational; the best solution would be to designate a permanent Olympic venue somewhere isolated — Diego Garcia would be a prime candidate — and hold the games there permanently so that they don't endanger life, limb and civil liberties. but that would reduce the corruption corporate sponsorship opportunities, and the games are entirely about milking the host nation for money these days. (possibly making the above text illegal)

The Academy of Royal Medical Colleges recently said that having McDonald's sponsor the Olympics sends the wrong message in Britain, which is battling increasing obesity. It's group also criticized London Olympic organizers for accepting sponsorships from , the official drinks sellers at the games...Coca Cola and Heineken beer

London, the is the world's premiere panoptic city as it is one of the first to blanket itself with CCTV cameras; the Olympic heavy security and surveillance cordon is nicknamed the Ring of Steel. London decided to make its surveillance a dominant feature of its mascots. “Wenlock” and “Mandeville” with both have a huge single eye made out of a camera lens so that they can “record everything.”

In case that’s too subtle for you, the Olympic organizers have offered a dress-up version of Wenlock in a policeman outfit.

So quickly back to back to the torch; ...

at least it is a relief to know that it was not made in a 'service' or 'financial' sector but by an engineering company based in Coventry (i.e a manufacturer generating added value to the economy which is the basic true growth our GNP needs the most - not from IT or banking or insurance etc etc)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jesus cant beleive I have just waded through the feces that has dribbled from your brain and through your keyboard.

Time for your nap me thinks.

:loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

Sit down, put on your tin foil helmet and just enjoy the games like everyone else is going to do.

Archived