Racist 2 year old?

Why do you say they haven't?

She's learned the behaviour somewhere (most likely)...

I say they haven't. They've obviously taught their daughter the noise that a monkey makes and their daughter has seen the black person and thought they looked like a monkey.

I say they haven't. They've obviously taught their daughter the noise that a monkey makes and their daughter has seen the black person and thought they looked like a monkey.

Maybe....

In which case they just need to teach her that people aren't monkeys.

Maybe the trip to the zoo would be useful, accompanied by a black friend.

No. 'Maybe' indicates that it may be so, and may not be so.

Well, that's what it's supposed to mean. Plus, I thought most people wouild have enough between the ears to realise that a 2 year old is incapable of being racist.

It's pretty obvious that this is an innocent association thing that needs to be corrected swiftly by the parents (which is in the process). I just wanted to know whether this was something that has happened to other parents.

Read the opening line. The title of the thread is just the headline, to draw you in. Doesn't the line"maybe not! indicate to you that it's quite obvious that the 2 year old isn't racist?

No. I didn't need to read "maybe not" which is an indication you're unsure. I know the toddler isn't racist (for the reasons set out in Chris's last post) Other than that anything is possible concerning it's perceived racism...including the parents or anyone else acting as guardian.

Maybe....

In which case they just need to teach her that people aren't monkeys.

Maybe the trip to the zoo would be useful, accompanied by a black friend.

There's no maybe about it. Thats definitely what has happened.

No. I didn't need to read "maybe not" which is an indication you're unsure. I know the toddler isn't racist (for the reasons set out in Chris's last post) Other than that anything is possible concerning it's perceived racism...including the parents or anyone else acting as guardian.

You're looking far too deeply into this. It's a 20 month old baby.

There's no maybe about it. Thats definitely what has happened.

How can you be so sure?

It could have been a visit from a racist friend/relative that has taught her the behaviour...

I did a (pretend) elbow drop on my wife (then girlfriend) in front of my niece once (as you do if you're both martial artists) and for ages my niece would keep elbow dropping anyone with her pointy little elbows!

I also said to my wife I was going outside for some fresh air because it stinks in here (it was a smokers house) and the little girl took great delight in saying 'it stinks in here' about lots of places for the next few weeks...

Monkey see, monkey do.

Archived