Did Shakespeare use the first biros?

Me and O/H sat down and watched the new 'Shakespeare Unlocked' thing last night ... 'Richard II' on Beeb 2.

I decided to see if there were subtitles (tinnitus), and what a surprise! Not only had Shakespeare bothered to write the subtitles ... he'd used different coloured ink to distingush who was saying what! This prompted me to postulate that the Bard must've been the first person ever to have one of those retractable Biros that has all the different coloured inks in it! Darn clever if you ask me, really neat handwriting too! ... O/H thought I was stupid though (Little does she know)

Tried Googling to prove my point but to no avail. Can anyone confirm my suspicion that Shakespeare was sponsored by Biro to write Richard II? :huh:

Just because you saw subtitles on Richard II doesn't mean this was written with a biro. I think you'll find that it was the next one in the series where the bard employed different writing tools.

The early biros suffered from ink problems (it used to solidify {Oh that this too solid flush would melt} and Shakespeare drew attention to this (and the cure) at the start of Henry IV pt 1

"So shaken as we are..."

The biro proved less than reliable and he completed the rest of the play with pencils although these also suffered from brittle graphite, hence the reference "Their points being broken..."

Archived