The world's next superpower?

Who will it be and why?

Britain's time was up 50 years ago. America is in decline. Developing nations are motoring past older established countries, where will power lie in 50-100years time?

China? Germany again? Japan? Russia? An african consortium? Amalgamation of Arab states? Brazil?

Who will it be and why?

Britain's time was up 50 years ago. America is in decline. Developing nations are motoring past older established countries, where will power lie in 50-100years time?

China? Germany again? Japan? Russia? An african consortium? Amalgamation of Arab states? Brazil?

Many believe China but it's democracy is still in the stone age and it's one child policy has caused a serious imbalance among males to females at a time when a vast number of Chinese are reaching retirement age and will depend on support from the younger generation which as a result of the one child policy will be far less in number than is needed.

Most probably India - particularly if it avoids wasting untold trillions of dollars on arms.

According to the latest news their economy is now in the junk bond category.

Why? Have no idea but's that's the word

The world's next superpower? i reckon it will be Ireland.

Switzerland. They will have the biggest and most technologically advanced navy the world has ever seen. They will be able to project their power to the very smallest corners and hide outs on the globe

I think Skoda are coming up shortly with a V12, 8.5 litre electric two-seater variant of the Estelle. Very fast apparently ... probably a match for Lambo and Ferrari! I tried to find a pic of it on Google but I've lost my computer glasses.

Switzerland. They will have the biggest and most technologically advanced navy the world has ever seen. They will be able to project their power to the very smallest corners and hide outs on the globe

"In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Orson welles in Third man

Superpowers, like Great Powers and the Powers before them, aggregate.

The days of the continental superpower are tailing off. Next step, unified global military power.

Even if you count countries that are arguably under US influence (and include the UK in that category to boot), the US still doesn't control as much of the world as the British did in the early 1900s. I'm not sure the notion that the size of power blocs always goes up, is a valid one.

Archived