Banks giving away my money

I can't believe what my bank has done. Last year I took out an AA policy on my debit card. Last week AA took out this years money without asking. And if that isn't bad enough I don't use that account now so didn't have any money in it and the bank paid it out, even though its not used and doesn't have a overdraft on it. Confronted bank about it and they said they have no control over it its AA faults to cut a long story short I was told if my insurance next year trys to renew itself with out my permission over £2000 they will pay it. Even though theres no money in the account, BTW after a lot of arguments the agreed to refund the bank charges. So beware paying anything on a debit card. Bloody banks crazy.:rant::rant:

I can't believe what my bank has done. Last year I took out an AA policy on my debit card. Last week AA took out this years money without asking. And if that isn't bad enough I don't use that account now so didn't have any money in it and the bank paid it out, even though its not used and doesn't have a overdraft on it. Confronted bank about it and they said they have no control over it its AA faults to cut a long story short I was told if my insurance next year trys to renew itself with out my permission over £2000 they will pay it. Even though theres no money in the account, BTW after a lot of arguments the agreed to refund the bank charges. So beware paying anything on a debit card. Bloody banks crazy.:rant::rant:

Why is it the banks fault that you paid for a recurring membership on your debit card without realising it?

Exactly what they said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you set up something on YOUR debit card with a company that has a renewal YOU are responsible for it. Why didn't you cancel if you didn't want it.

Why would you expect the bank to know whether you agreed it or not.

Even more so your responsiblity if YOU havn't set up an overdraft. A card transaction is automatic some money must be there and it cleared.

Why is it the banks fault that you paid for a recurring membership on your debit card without realising it?

The problem here is that too many people are too lazy to read the agreements they enter into, or not smart enough to understand them.

I suppose they are written in a way to make them difficult to understand and that long winded that many people can’t be bothered to read them.

I had the same happen to me on my credit card, its not the bank's fault its the aa's sneaky auto renewal policy which you have to cancel if you want it not to happen again and they don't really advertise the fact they would be doing this.

I also had mcfee anti virus do this to me aswell.

Anything paid for this way you need to tell them you would like to opt out of their auto renewal system.

Yes, it's on the second paragraph of the terms and conditions! :hihi:

Does that mean you have to read 2 paragraphs to get to the nitty gritty?

I can see why it would be difficult.:hihi:

If you pay for a subscription with a debit card (and maybe credit card) then you must cancel that with the company claiming the money. The bank cannot stop the payment. This is different from a direct debit where you can cancel the DD and, if the bank pays out - you can claim back from the bank.

If you do need to cancel a debit card payment before it is due to go out - cancel with the company and ensure that you get confirmation from the company in writing.

G

Archived