Banks giving away my money

No, there is not. If you sign a contract which includes a clause for annual renewal, you have signed up for annual renewal. If you didn't bother to read the small print properly, that is entirely your own fault, US case law notwithstanding.

Also they send you your new cards stating that the annual subscription will be taken from your account on a certain day in the future. My new cards arrived 1 month before renewal date, giving me ample time to cancel the subscription if I so wished.

I can't believe what my bank has done. Last year I took out an AA policy on my debit card. Last week AA took out this years money without asking. And if that isn't bad enough I don't use that account now so didn't have any money in it and the bank paid it out, even though its not used and doesn't have a overdraft on it. Confronted bank about it and they said they have no control over it its AA faults to cut a long story short I was told if my insurance next year trys to renew itself with out my permission over £2000 they will pay it. Even though theres no money in the account, BTW after a lot of arguments the agreed to refund the bank charges. So beware paying anything on a debit card. Bloody banks crazy.:rant::rant:

Was it for motor insurance? If so the AA will have written to you about a month before it's due telling you to conatct them if you don't want to proceed with their insurance this time around...

The AA are well known for their "continual renewal by direct debit". They've made the print bigger in their ads but it's still quite small.

Don't know about the OP's bank but on mine's internet banking site there is a page which lists all direct debits and standing orders and their collection date and frequency.

A bit of money management is all that's needed.

Hang on a minute. The OP stated that he doesn't use the account any more, there were no funds in there, and there was no overdraft facility.

Surely the bank should have just 'bounced' the request for whatever money and wherever it came from?

I know if I don't have funds in my account. They automatically just bounce a direct debit or whatever, regardless of how much it's for.

Just checked Lloyds TSB's rules for an example.

If you try to make a payment out of your account (for example by Direct Debit or cheque) and you don’t have enough money, we will treat this as a request for an ‘Unplanned Overdraft’ or for an increase in one you already have.

If we don't agree to give you an Unplanned Overdraft, you won't be able to make the payment and a fee will normally apply.

But shouldn't it be the OPs responsibility to ensure active accounts have enough money in them to cover any bills, and that its checked to make sure there are no active DDs or standing orders?

Just checked Lloyds TSB's rules for an example.

But shouldn't it be the OPs responsibility to ensure active accounts have enough money in them to cover any bills, and that its checked to make sure there are no active DDs or standing orders?

On one level I can agree with what you say. If it was a dormant account, he should have closed it.

Being a dormant account (ie no funds going in there), the bank should have declined the request for payment of the D/D. Are the banks so stupid as to automatically approve a payment (unplanned overdraft), when there clearly are no funds there, and no liklihood of any going in? (talk about banks being reckless lenders????)

It's very easy to forget AA direct debits. I pay them quarterly for AA road cover, and it catches me out almost every time they draw it. People just forget, and especially if it's an annual one!

Technically I suppose, there are shortfalls on both sides. The bank should not have sanctioned the payment, and the OP should have closed the account or at least cancelled the DD.

Read a contract before you agree to it then.

Who is being dishonest. You sign an agreement. That sends authority to your bank to debit your account when requested by the terms of that agreement.

The banks job is to pay it out. Why are they being dishonest??

Lesson learnt there. Read before you sign up to something.

Its a debit card if I try to buy something and I have no money in it it get declined as this should have.:mad:

What is the banks role in this situation though? All they've done is pay a direct debit that was authorised.
Wasn't a direct debit I payed for one year only last year. Not credit card, debit card no money in account.,

I'm equally confused. The OP signed up to an annually renewing contract, and he thinks it's the bank's fault that the renewal charge was paid? How can it possibly be the bank's fault? They are following his instructions.
Didn't sign up to annually renewal just a one of payment last year.

Archived