Banks giving away my money

Didn't sign up to annually renewal just a one of payment last year.

The AA web site says it's a continuous payment scheme..yearly from the bank,yearly from a card or monthly dd..so you probably didn't realise you'd signed up for more than one year..I think you have to cancel otherwise it'll continue..

Hang on a minute. The OP stated that he doesn't use the account any more, there were no funds in there, and there was no overdraft facility.

Surely the bank should have just 'bounced' the request for whatever money and wherever it came from?

I know if I don't have funds in my account. They automatically just bounce a direct debit or whatever, regardless of how much it's for.

Wow someone with some sense.:D

I mentioned earlier but I'll say it again. The OP paid on his Debit Card - this is not a direct debit or a standing order. A DD or SO you have control over. A recurring debit card payment can only [should] be cancelled by the originator - so you have to contact the AA and tell them to stop requesting it. The bank can refuse to pay it for lack of funds but they can't stop it on a customer's say so.

The OP needs to find the piece of paper to see exactly what he signed for. The fact that it was a membership - I would assume that it would be auto renewed until the customer states otherwise. The AA will get far fewer issues that way from a customer who takes out AA membership which auto expires and the customer breaks down two days after that date.

Anyhow, if the OP doesn't contact the AA and cancel his membership, he will get charged again next year. Cancel now and if no confirmation letter is received - write to them again.

G

EDIT

Crossed out a bit above after reading this article - which mentions the AA, btw

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments

I mentioned earlier but I'll say it again. The OP paid on his Debit Card - this is not a direct debit or a standing order. A DD or SO you have control over. A recurring debit card payment can only [should] be cancelled by the originator - so you have to contact the AA and tell them to stop requesting it. The bank can refuse to pay it for lack of funds but they can't stop it on a customer's say so.

The OP needs to find the piece of paper to see exactly what he signed for. The fact that it was a membership - I would assume that it would be auto renewed until the customer states otherwise. The AA will get far fewer issues that way from a customer who takes out AA membership which auto expires and the customer breaks down two days after that date.

Anyhow, if the OP doesn't contact the AA and cancel his membership, he will get charged again next year. Cancel now and if no confirmation letter is received - write to them again.

G

EDIT

Crossed out a bit above after reading this article - which mentions the AA, btw

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments

Thankyou most helpful.:)

So, after a rant about the bank giving money away we find that the OP is responsible and should have cancelled the agreement that he had with the AA. We have also established that only a few people read the T&Cs for their bank accounts and actually know how they work. The rest simply jump on the band wagon and give suggestions about how they think things should work. Strange how it's always the latter group that seem to have the issues !!!!!

Thank you very much Sheffield Forum for once again highlighting the stupidity of the masses and the knowledge of the few.

Best way is to report your card lost now and again that way if anyone tries to take a payment from it it is refused without charge.It costs nothing for a new card and the new one is a different number.

So, after a rant about the bank giving money away we find that the OP is responsible and should have cancelled the agreement that he had with the AA. We have also established that only a few people read the T&Cs for their bank accounts and actually know how they work. The rest simply jump on the band wagon and give suggestions about how they think things should work. Strange how it's always the latter group that seem to have the issues !!!!!

Thank you very much Sheffield Forum for once again highlighting the stupidity of the masses and the knowledge of the few.

What elitist drivel!...We all bow to your superior knowledge!

Don't think it is just the AA. We recently took out breakdown cover with another provider and I sat with my wife with the phone on speaker and during the "Signing up" procedure the sales person specifically asked "Do you wish for this cover to auto renew in a years time?" Simple reply was no thanks.

Just changed my car insurance and even though I gave them a months notice that I was leaving them they still tried to debit the money on the due date. A few terse words were spoken and they withdrew their request for money.

It seems to be the norm nowadays.

Archived