Suggestions Please for Replacing Lettering

I am in Bournemouth...My parents grave is in Tinsley Park. Sheffield. Until fairly recently my brother went to visit the grave weekly taking flowers and generally keeping an eye on things. He's now sadly passed away himself and one of my nieces tells me that the black lettering on the grave has started to fall off. She has the letters in safe keeping but has asked me to suggest something to use to stick them back on. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what could be used please? I wouldn't have thought superglue but if anyone knows different or can suggest anything else, I would be very grateful.....It's black lettering on white marble. Thanks in anticipation.

I second Smithy's suggestion: 'Talk to a Monumental Mason.'

The coefficient of expansion of the gravestone may well be (probably is) different to the coefficient of expansion of any glue you might use and the original mason probably made the lettering out of something which would 'work' with the marble.

I remember (as a child) watching a 'Mr RE Masterson, Monumental Mason' working on gravestones. He didn't glue the letters in - he hammered some sort of compound into the engravings on the stone.

Repairs to a gravestone are perhaps better done by an expert than by a well-meaning amateur.

Perhaps your niece might get a quote from a local person?

Depending on the size of the lettering... I've used this to stick a memorial plaque to stonework without problem. (Both with smooth marble finishes)

It's clear, wipes of easily if you use a little too much.. so you shouldn't make too much mess if you're careful. It's also flexible (so it will expand/contract), weather resistant and can be applied in wet conditions.. it also does exactly what it says on the tube! :hihi:

Thanks for replies. I did have the grave cleaned and renovated a while ago but on finding the paperwork was shocked to find it was about 7 years ago in fact. (Time flies)

The bill then was close on £400 and half of that was down to re-cutting and refixing so I was trying to avoid that again if I'm honest.

Still, a couple of things in your replies to try so I will pass on the suggestions. thanks again.

Archived