Cross Scythes Derbyshire Lane Going Thornbridge

Well hopefully I'm not duplicating a thread here (have searched).

It's been announced this morning that Thornbridge have leased the Cross Scythes on Derbyshire Lane from Punch for 10 years on a no-tie agreement.

It was an update on their twitter feed - link here http://twitter.com/#!/thornbridge

Not having visited the Cross Scythes I can't comment, I love Thornbridge beers and like what they've brought to places like the Greystones and Hallamshire House.

It does now seem however that they are expanding at an exponential rate, acquiring the Bath, and several other restaurants/bars with Smithy in just a few months.

Are they now too big? Or is suspicion of a successful and expanding business just a result of a Sheffield centric distrust of any business bigger than one pub/shop?

I would also like this thread to concentrate on the business side, effects for Sheffield, rather than the usual "thornbridge beers are over hopped so they deserve to go out of business etc etc" comments that always seems to dominate discussion.

i think it's a good thing for the area. although i've never been in the previous incarnation, i did see the news piece on the bomb scare the other week and it just looked like a standard suburban boozer. no problem with that, though they do seem to be the ones that tend to struggle currently.

i've been in the hallamshire a good few times and the greystones a couple, they sell decent beer and are decent environment. the staff knew their stuff and most importantly they were busy.

if this follows a similar format then i can't see why it shouldn't be positive, in terms of both jobs and as a focal point for the community. i don't think people have a problem with them revitalising tired boozers, just when they develop places large numbers of people still have an affinity to, such as the bath or the stag.

clearly busy pub > struggling pub, though a (hypothetical) concern is that if there was a thornbridge on every street corner then they'd just be ordinary - i do like some variety.

I don't think there's a problem as long as they're spread out.

If they were to open 2 or 3 pubs in close proximity then I could see that being an issue, but as far as I'm aware this isn't close to any other Thornbridge Pubs......Sheffield is a big city, even if we think small.

Regards

Doom

thanks for the responses, yes I agree with most of you, I don't see too much of a problem with this takeover. I visited the Bath for the fist time since they took it over last week and I was pleasantly surprised by the range of beer and the décor, as well as the pork sandwiches!

I love Mount pleasant off Derbyshire Lane, so hopefully this renovation with make the area a good place for a mini crawl!

This had been rumoured for a couple of months. I now have 2 Thornbridge pubs near to me but I`d be happy if they started to do some ales of a decent quality for under £3.00 which they ought to be able to do with the scale of their operation at Bakewell and the Hall. I can`t see me paying £16 for their latest bottled beer (Across the Pond -?) or £9 plus for the new Imperial Stout in the current financial climate. Or how about they do up boozers in other areas rather than SW and city centre?

This had been rumoured for a couple of months. I now have 2 Thornbridge pubs near to me but I`d be happy if they started to do some ales of a decent quality for under £3.00 which they ought to be able to do with the scale of their operation at Bakewell and the Hall. I can`t see me paying £16 for their latest bottled beer (Across the Pond -?) or £9 plus for the new Imperial Stout in the current financial climate. Or how about they do up boozers in other areas rather than SW and city centre?

Now now Jemson I wouldn't expect Thornbridge bashing from you! To be honest you now how much I love Thornbridge but I when I found out Pond Hopper was £15 a bottle my excitement turned into a serious dilemma on do I or dont I? The cross scythes was a dump so I'm all for it as it will be an improvement. They might need to be careful though as the area is slightly different to their other ventures and I'm not sure locals will stand for being bent over the table on price!

Pondhopper is £16 a bottle? Ok didn't know that, good job I didn't pull the trigger on a pint in the tap!

Tried to get a taster but they refused citing the cost, erm... surely the point of a taster is to make sure you don't waste your money? Anyone else had this recently?

Pondhopper is £16 a bottle? Ok didn't know that, good job I didn't pull the trigger on a pint in the tap!

Tried to get a taster but they refused citing the cost, erm... surely the point of a taster is to make sure you don't waste your money? Anyone else had this recently?

The bottles are 750ml I've not had a pint but I would expect it to be £7-8

Archived