Cross Scythes Derbyshire Lane Going Thornbridge

They've done a great job with renovating this place. Although it's not a departure of any kind from the Thornbridge blueprint, the pub building itself has tonnes of character. Residents fearing the worst should probably rest easy that the kind of punters that gravitated towards the place before will most likely be very much put off by the floral wallpaper for a start! The family-friendly mini play park in the back should also attract in a new clientele.

Maybe the other pubs in the area will eventually follow suit and up their game? Someone mentioned further up this thread that the Prince of Wales has been taken on by new management, but from my last visit it still comes across as completely off-limits to a peaceable beer-drinker!

I'd be interested to know what others think of the official opening tonight...

They've done a great job with renovating this place. Although it's not a departure of any kind from the Thornbridge blueprint, the pub building itself has tonnes of character. Residents fearing the worst should probably rest easy that the kind of punters that gravitated towards the place before will most likely be very much put off by the floral wallpaper for a start! The family-friendly mini play park in the back should also attract in a new clientele.

Maybe the other pubs in the area will eventually follow suit and up their game? Someone mentioned further up this thread that the Prince of Wales has been taken on by new management, but from my last visit it still comes across as completely off-limits to a peaceable beer-drinker!

It should indeed be a very different pub, for the better. I will miss the Sunday lunch though!

The Prince was taken over a while ago but not much changed x

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Thought it looked pretty tidy and the floral wallpaper worked for me, but I`m no expert. And beer seemed better than Beauchief upon opening!

Craven Silk, Bro Rabbit, Wild Swan, Jaipur, Bath`s Barnsey and Dark Star Espresso. Quite a few bottles (Goose Island, etc) but not the `top end` Thornbridge. And a dart board!

Went in not long ago and I won't rush back. Lots of chavvie types, very loud music , multiple tv's AND radio on. Just wanted a good pint, not to be deafened.

Will defiantly be giving Cross Scythes a go inner future.

Shame about Prince it could be great

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

Went in not long ago and I won't rush back. Lots of chavvie types, very loud music , multiple tv's AND radio on. Just wanted a good pint, not to be deafened.

Will defiantly be giving Cross Scythes a go inner future.

Shame about Prince it could be great

It was refurbed just before the take over, and a very cheap beer deal brought in, and TVs with sport and all that attracted a younger crowd. The landlord hated it and left. When it was taken over by the guy who owns the Chantrey and white lion big changes were expected but never happened.

It was refurbed just before the take over, and a very cheap beer deal brought in, and TVs with sport and all that attracted a younger crowd. The landlord hated it and left. When it was taken over by the guy who owns the Chantrey and white lion big changes were expected but never happened.

That's a shame, Chantrey, it's an OK pub, but like Prince it could be a great pub. They don't seem to realise that not everyone wants a group, singer or disco.

I understand they make them money, but it alienates real alers, it come to something when you'd rather drink in a Wetherspoons!!

The owner should look at Thornbridge as a template for what makes money, and it ain't multiple TV's,radio or even pool tables.

Even real alers have standards.

Lets hope they make a better job of it than before which wont be hard.

Maybee this time the licencing laws might be followed to the letter which wasnt the case before .

I know some local residents who have gone through hell living near there before anybody jumps down my throat.

what u on about !! who has gone through hell !!! they can always report it to the police ... are or they make believe in your tiny little mind :loopy:

nah the wall paper made it better for the locals !!!! we will always be in there not like u lot ... that follow Thornbridge its a local pub... and nothing has really changed apart from the wall paper and the flooring ... just hope to meet u soon IN MY LOCAL

Archived