Cross Scythes Derbyshire Lane Going Thornbridge

nah the wall paper made it better for the locals !!!! we will always be in there not like u lot ... that follow Thornbridge its a local pub... and nothing has really changed apart from the wall paper and the flooring ... just hope to meet u soon IN MY LOCAL

Well said !! Long live the Cross Hammers

nah the wall paper made it better for the locals !!!! we will always be in there not like u lot ... that follow Thornbridge its a local pub... and nothing has really changed apart from the wall paper and the flooring ... just hope to meet u soon IN MY LOCAL

What on earth are you on about sir? Are you assuming that it's not MY LOCAL too?

Yes, see you in there. I'm sure you'll give me a fine welcome, and we can have a good chat about the wallpaper. Looking forward to it Ally.

It's not on my list of pubs to visit. It just doesn't sit well with me alongside the A4E business. Is A4E still being investigated?

According to this article from February 2012, according to the latest accounts available at the time of writing, all of the Thornbridge pubs and restaurants operate at a loss.

"Emma’s husband, Jim, runs Thornbridge Brewery, housed in a converted outbuilding on the estate and another site in nearby Bakewell. One of his ales is called Jaipur, a nod to the city where he and Emma married. He also owns a number of pubs and restaurants, all of which operate at a loss according to the latest accounts. None of which matters, as long as Emma is doing her bit for the unemployed."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102892/Living-state--Inside-16-bedroom-42-loo-mansion-Governments-families-tsar-8-5m-payday-provoked-outrage.html#ixzz22RaASU9S

It's not on my list of pubs to visit. It just doesn't sit well with me alongside the A4E business. Is A4E still being investigated?

According to this article from February 2012, according to the latest accounts available at the time of writing, all of the Thornbridge pubs and restaurants operate at a loss.

"Emma’s husband, Jim, runs Thornbridge Brewery, housed in a converted outbuilding on the estate and another site in nearby Bakewell. One of his ales is called Jaipur, a nod to the city where he and Emma married. He also owns a number of pubs and restaurants, all of which operate at a loss according to the latest accounts. None of which matters, as long as Emma is doing her bit for the unemployed."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2102892/Living-state--Inside-16-bedroom-42-loo-mansion-Governments-families-tsar-8-5m-payday-provoked-outrage.html#ixzz22RaASU9S

Yes and they make beers that are very hard to beat nationally, let alone local ones.

The A4E link does leave a bad taste, but you could on the other hand question the extent to which EH has a hand in the brewery. I suppose you have to ask yourself, do you question the politics of every brewer/producer of whom you drink their beer/product?

I suppose the hope is that offering a quality service and a quality product will help the customers into behaving in a socially-acceptable way befitting that offer. Am I right in thinking Mike Pigeon is taking on the landlord duties? I've seen that he runs a tight ship.

Looking forward to spending a lot more time in the Cross Scythes.

We called in for a quick drink this lunch time, very nice staff, good atmosphere and I'm told good beer. We live quite close by so very pleased about the refurb. they were sorting out a seating area at the back of the pub which also looks good. Much smarter than before and a good thing for the area in my opinion

The days of undesirables hanging around outside smoking weed are gone.

Riff raff tend not to like being around decent people as it shows them up for what they are.

Calling people riff raff is going to get you nowhere! all that this will do is make them want to stay even more, and say that you are a decent person, well slagging people off isn't very decent.

Back to the main issue next post.

Well I visited the establishment on opening night, it has certainly changed nice selection of real ales(ok if you like this) if not there is only 2 lagers available on draught one been on the very high abv and the other becks vier. bottles were available.

Nice flooring throughout wallpaper well I'll let you all decide when you visit. area on the back very nice and made use of all the areas within the building.

Staff polite and helpful. Only one but the Landlady/Manager didn't seem to smile much or want to talk to people. Other than own click!

sign off for now

Happy Drinking

I called in last night for a couple of pints. Found the beer ok but the people who were dishing it out were slow & unsmiling. The one thing I dislike about Thornbridge pubs is that are far too noisy, due to the lack of carpets on the floors.

They have also got rid of the outside seating & tables from the front of the pub, which is a good idea as you don't have to run the gauntlet of drunken builders & weed smokers!

Archived