Mayan end of world 2012 MEGATHREAD

My biggest worry about these sort of predictions is that certain types of people almost want it (something...anything) to happen to liven up their boring little lives. And, with a certain mindset, it could become a self fulfilling prophecy if we're not careful. Despite living in this modern world I think we still have an inate superstitious streak.

People abandon hope and give in to doom and gloom, thus depriving themselves and others of a future. Other people get dragged in until they all think there is nothing worth saving and act accordingly.

There's a lot to be depressed about at the moment so we have to work extra hard to keep hope for the future alive. The world is still a beautiful place and there is much we can personally do to improve it. God put us all on this earth together to help each other. As long as we don't forget that's what we're here for, we can survive anything.

My biggest worry about these sort of predictions is that certain types of people almost want it (something...anything) to happen to liven up their boring little lives. And, with a certain mindset, it could become a self fulfilling prophecy if we're not careful. Despite living in this modern world I think we still have an inate superstitious streak.

People abandon hope and give in to doom and gloom, thus depriving themselves and others of a future. Other people get dragged in until they all think there is nothing worth saving and act accordingly.

There's a lot to be depressed about at the moment so we have to work extra hard to keep hope for the future alive. The world is still a beautiful place and there is much we can personally do to improve it. God put us all on this earth together to help each other. As long as we don't forget that's what we're here for, we can survive anything.

Agree, bar the bold. :)

It's all a load of religious tosh. I heard that some Aztecs or whatever ran out of space when they were making the Mayan calendar and therefore concluded that the world will end on December 21st 2012.

Even that isn't accurate.

The modern international calendar is only 365 days long, and it comes to an end every December 31st, at which point we start again with another one.

The Mayan calendar was thousands of years long, but it does still come to an end at some point, and that point is December 2012. They didn't conclude, or predict, anything; it's just the date when they would have had to start their calendar over again, had they still been around and still using it.

Pardon me for asking, but what makes these people's beliefs any less credible or likely than yours?

As for the 2012 end of the world, if I remember correctly the way the Mayan calendar was calculated, they just couldn't get any further than 2012 and that's then just been interpreted by some since as the end of the world.

It's a bit like assuming that because there's no tins of beans left on the shelf, all beans in the world have ceased to exist (kinda).

Archived