Mayan end of world 2012 MEGATHREAD

I remember it being the 'end of the world' on some date when I was a kid (getting old now can't remember the date :hihi: ) and it scaring the hell out of me!

I do wish people wouldn't go on about such trash. My kids ask me when the world will end and I just say 'when it ends'.

How many times has the world been predicted to end so far?

Even that isn't accurate.

The modern international calendar is only 365 days long, and it comes to an end every December 31st, at which point we start again with another one.

The Mayan calendar was thousands of years long, but it does still come to an end at some point, and that point is December 2012. They didn't conclude, or predict, anything; it's just the date when they would have had to start their calendar over again, had they still been around and still using it.

Thank goodness for sanity. This is another of those outrageous stories conjured up by the conspiracy theorists (aka the media). They saw an opportunity to instill fear into the public by running with a ludicrous (and utterly fallacious) story. There's simply no truth to this story and HeadingNorth has got it spot on here. I've been telling this same story for years now and, like the Millennium Bug, no one ever listens.

What exactly is supposed to happen? I've read it end in December but never what should be happening? Anyone shed light on it?

In approximately one billion years time the sun will be so hot that all the water on Earth will have evaporated. So some time before that, probably tea time.

Archived