Mayan end of world 2012 MEGATHREAD

Sorry for heavily editing your post, just wanted to highlight the major points, I'm struggling to see how such an exact date can be reached. Everything starts off being "about" and "approximately", how do you then come up with the date being within a 48-hour period? That would automatically make me think it’s not very likely at all.

The mayans were very exact, citing exactly how many days are in each 1/5 cycle (1872000 days), believing a year to be 365.2420 days (yes they did get that pretty close.) I've just tried to approximately convert the dates to the gregorian calendar myself and to make it easy i rounded a bit.

The 21st dec 2012 is based on the astrological event which justifies the mayan calendar hence its precise.

thats what she just said in a pm! im so excited i have never talked to a girl before :hihi:

pm's?? you been smoking summat you should have? :suspect::loopy:

Wierdos? On the forum?

where?

Who?

there's one hiding in all your mirrors :suspect:

Nice going everyone. You've made a mess of the OP's attempt at a serious thread with your unfunny, smart arse, one line remarks. This is not the chat room, nor is it a stage for you to be the center of attention.

This is precisely why I never start a new thread when it's late in the day in Sheffield. There are no Mods around to prevent this.

For what it's worth pete, I'm sorry. I find the subject of the Mayan Calendar interesting as well, and I have one that belonged to my uncle. Perhaps they weren't right about everything, I hope they weren't, I don't want the world to end in 2012, but they were certainly on to something. And yes, they were brilliant mathmeticians.

:) Sierra

The mayans were very exact, citing exactly how many days are in each 1/5 cycle (1872000 days), believing a year to be 365.2420 days (yes they did get that pretty close.) I've just tried to approximately convert the dates to the gregorian calendar myself and to make it easy i rounded a bit.

The 21st dec 2012 is based on the astrological event which justifies the mayan calendar hence its precise.

Well at least I'll not have to buy a birthday present for my sister-in-law.......but it doesn't half b*gg*r up my pension plan.

But if these mayans were so smart, how come they never invented beer and chips:huh:

Archived