Clearance for English prison work

HI all

Looking for a bit of advice please :)

Basically my husband has a criminal record from 25 years ago - however, after applying for clearance to work in English prisons the home office have wrote and said he cannot do so because of his criminal record!

He wrote back and asked why - their response was abrupt - "because of your criminal record, and there is no appeals procedure"!

How can this be fair? done the crime - done the time - 25 ruddy years ago! according to direct gov website this conviction is SPENT after ten years.

Hubby was honest on the application form - hid nothing, cos there's no point doing that they'd have found out anyway.

We have now asked Criminal records bureau to help, and also the local MP - just wondered if anyone on here has suffered the same? do I need a solicitor? thing is, if he can't get into the prisons he could well lose this contract which would put my lads out of work :(

Any help or advice would be very gratefully received

thanks

H xxxx

nothing too bad dont worry! just bought a few things off a very dodgy supplier and took the rap for it when the others legged it!

age 18 and drunk - was his excuse lol

If it's spent, don't declare it. I had 2 from years ago. Never declared them on any forms and crbs and enhanced crbs come back clear.

zaxman - damn right!

teddybare - always thought it best to be honest - might have to try again and not mention it then??

Headingnorth - I agree - but still disagree with their decison! especially when working in hospitals and care homes is allowed?? surely the people in their beds are more vulnerable than prisoners who the workers can have no contact with whatsoever...it doesn't make sense

Archived