Clearance for English prison work

Don't the forms in the uk usually say "any convictions that aren't considered spent"?

If they cause you any trouble there's always deed poll ;)

In my line of work i have to declare any convictions.Regardless of when it was.

HI all

Looking for a bit of advice please :)

Basically my husband has a criminal record from 25 years ago - however, after applying for clearance to work in English prisons the home office have wrote and said he cannot do so because of his criminal record!

He wrote back and asked why - their response was abrupt - "because of your criminal record, and there is no appeals procedure"!

How can this be fair? done the crime - done the time - 25 ruddy years ago! according to direct gov website this conviction is SPENT after ten years.

Hubby was honest on the application form - hid nothing, cos there's no point doing that they'd have found out anyway.

We have now asked Criminal records bureau to help, and also the local MP - just wondered if anyone on here has suffered the same? do I need a solicitor? thing is, if he can't get into the prisons he could well lose this contract which would put my lads out of work :(

Any help or advice would be very gratefully received

thanks

H xxxx

Here is why the conviction has to be declared and why he is not allowed into the prison:

Do I need to tell an employer about spent convictions?

You don't need to disclose spent convictions when applying for most jobs. Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 it's unlawful for an employer to discriminate on the grounds of a spent conviction. However, some types of jobs are exempt from this Act – this means you have to disclose spent convictions as well as unspent ones. These jobs include:

working with children and vulnerable adults, such as elderly and disabled people

senior roles in banking and the financial services industry

certain posts connected to law enforcement, including the judiciary and the police

work involving national security

certain posts in the prison service

certain professions in areas such as health, pharmacy and the law

private security work.

In my line of work i have to declare any convictions.Regardless of when it was.

so it must be in one of these areas:

working with children and vulnerable adults, such as elderly and disabled people

certain posts connected to law enforcement, including the judiciary and the police

private security work.

are you a banker????

Here is why the conviction has to be declared and why he is not allowed into the prison:

It may well be why declaration is needed, but it is certainly not a specific reason why a contractor should be barred from any prison.

Ex-offenders do work for the Prison Service and many more have access as contractors, teachers, volunteers etc.

It is possible that someone is being lazy or, there is something specific that has flagged up on a Risk Assessment.

It may well be why declaration is needed, but it is certainly not a specific reason why a contractor should be barred from any prison.

Ex-offenders do work for the Prison Service and many more have access as contractors, teachers, volunteers etc.

It is possible that someone is being lazy or, there is something specific that has flagged up on a Risk Assessment.

You are correct........my answer should have said ;

Here is why the conviction has to be declared and why someone has decided he is not allowed into the prison:

so it must be in one of these areas:

private security work.

are you a banker????

Yep! It's on your list.

However,if i reveal which one,i may have to prod you with my poisonous brolly.:P

Archived