A question about guttering?

does anyone know if there is any requirement for a home owner to maintain guttering in a property that overhangs a communal passageway?

my neighbours guttering overhangs the ally between the houses giving access to the back of 4 properties and its totally shot. This means that when ever it rains the gutter is actually funnelling the water over the alleyway creating a gauntlet for anyone wishing to pass underneath.

is there any requirement to maintain it? I know there is a requirement to maintain access, but would water pouring over the alleyway be considered an issue?

thanks.

There is a requirement for leaking overflows to be fixed as it causes a slip hazard particularly in winter. Not sure if that applies to leaky guttering.

Why would anyone not want to get it fixed?

Being completely ignorant of it is one possibility. Perhaps more likely, in today's society, is the line of thinking that says "it's not leaking into MY house, therefore it's not MY problem."

Being completely ignorant of it is one possibility. Perhaps more likely, in today's society, is the line of thinking that says "it's not leaking into MY house, therefore it's not MY problem."

I can sniff gas but its not my problem.....

There is a requirement for leaking overflows to be fixed as it causes a slip hazard particularly in winter. Not sure if that applies to leaky guttering.

Why would anyone not want to get it fixed?

Rented property.

does anyone know if there is any requirement for a home owner to maintain guttering in a property that overhangs a communal passageway?

my neighbours guttering overhangs the ally between the houses giving access to the back of 4 properties and its totally shot. This means that when ever it rains the gutter is actually funnelling the water over the alleyway creating a gauntlet for anyone wishing to pass underneath.

is there any requirement to maintain it? I know there is a requirement to maintain access, but would water pouring over the alleyway be considered an issue?

thanks.

I bet the water drains off your roof and finishes in the gutter which leaks.This means that you have a moral obligation to help finance or execute any repairs:hihi:

I bet the water drains off your roof and finishes in the gutter which leaks.This means that you have a moral obligation to help finance or execute any repairs:hihi:

Nope, its their gutting as its their property that goes over the alleyway.

Archived