A question about guttering?

Part of the issue is that the area over the entry is likely to have a join in it between the guttering that belongs to two houses, and even if you trim the edges of one home's guttering to put in new guttering, the join is always going to be a weak point.

We have the same issue with the guttering above our entry too. Over the last few years both houses have had new guttering and the joint between the two has been trimmed, cleaned and renewed twice, but each time has only reduced the problem for a few months.

Are you on the other side of the aller WeX? Is any of the water wetting the walls of your property?

We've got some houses just up the road where the gutter over the alley is spewing water all over the place when it rains. Been like it for years and the damage to the pointing and bricks on the houses on each side is pretty bad now. Quite a lot of the pointing is washed out, the walls look mossy and there is a lot of efflorescence. Recipe for penetrating damp too.

Might be worth advising the owners in a nice way that it could end up costing more that the couple of hundred quid that a replacement gutter would cost.

Part of the issue is that the area over the entry is likely to have a join in it between the guttering that belongs to two houses, and even if you trim the edges of one home's guttering to put in new guttering, the join is always going to be a weak point.

We have the same issue with the guttering above our entry too. Over the last few years both houses have had new guttering and the joint between the two has been trimmed, cleaned and renewed twice, but each time has only reduced the problem for a few months.

Next time run the sections of gutter to the downpipe. Get yours and the neighbour's replaced at the same time. It'll cost the same

Rented property.

:( another slumlord then. Hassle the landlord. They don't like to be hassled. Tell him you slipped and are considering a claim against him. :)

If it's student or "responsible landlord scheme" property there will be someone responsible for checking the house isn't in a state of disrepair.

Ridiculous. If a gutter is fitted correctly, kept clear and adequately supported it will last years and years. I suggest you get someone in who knows what they're doing next time. All work like that should be guaranteed by the company who fitted/repaired it. A few months means it's not fitted right.

Next time run the sections of gutter to the downpipe. Get yours and the neighbour's replaced at the same time. It'll cost the same

I don't have a downpipe on my section of gutter, at either the front or the back. Although I pay someone to come and clear my guttering I also have to pay them to clear my neighbours' gutters at both sides or it's a bit of a pointless job because I'm entirely reliant on their guttering being clear too.

Ridiculous. If a gutter is fitted correctly, kept clear and adequately supported it will last years and years. I suggest you get someone in who knows what they're doing next time. All work like that should be guaranteed by the company who fitted/repaired it. A few months means it's not fitted right.

The guttering has been in the same place for over 100 years, so I doubt that it's anything to do with whether it's supported. I'm not able to enforce someone else replacing and clearing their gutter, am I?

I don't have a downpipe on my section of gutter, at either the front or the back. Although I pay someone to come and clear my guttering I also have to pay them to clear my neighbours' gutters at both sides or it's a bit of a pointless job because I'm entirely reliant on their guttering being clear too.

We're the same as it happens. The downpipe is on the neighbouring house but we have a single run of gutter across our house and across a bit of their house. Us and them realised there was no point in putting a joint in the gutter where there needn't be one. When we had the gutter replaced it was to remedy a situation exactly like yours and what WeX describes. Have a chat with your neighbour and get the job done properly.

The guttering has been in the same place for over 100 years, so I doubt that it's anything to do with whether it's supported. I'm not able to enforce someone else replacing and clearing their gutter, am I?

If it's leaking then the amount of time it's been in place is irrelevant. Guttering is relatively inexpensive. I reckon replacing half of it and having it fixed every "few months" would be more expensive than doing the job properly once. It's really not hard to stop guttering leaking. It's not under any great pressure like a water main is. If it's supported correctly there's no movement on the joint so it won't leak.

People seem to be having problems with their neighbours on this forum a lot. Aren't most people, neighbours included, affable and willing listen to reason?

there is no connection as the properties are different heights. the neighbors guttering in question is only on their side and ends at the halfway point over the alleyway. This is where the water is coming from. I thin its probably blocked and so the water, in heavy rain just runs over the top and onto the ally, but you can imagine the amount of water coming from the whole section of roof being funneled into one area by the rest of the guttering.

Archived