Blown head gasket..

Just advised that my car's head gasket's blown....again.

Looking back at my records, it turns out that it's only just 3.5 years, and only 11.5k miles, since I last had it replaced, complete with a cracktested and skimmed head, new bolts and cambelt fitted at only 66k miles.

Bearing in mind that the car's done less that an average annual mileage in over three years, am I being unreasonable to consider it "unfortunate", or should I take the matter up with the original mechanic?

Mine has gone too,the quote to have it repaired was £200 so its a big job and im considering scrapping it,you do seem to be unlucky with the mileage its done though.

Just short of £500 for mine last time, and "only" a ton of that was for the labour....but yes, I agree....just over 77k mileage done, and through two head gaskets.....

it you be down to you not maintaining your car correctly? not meaning that in the wrong way by the way.

Fair point made...gets through it's MOT without much of a struggle, and is "looked after" as regards oil changes, etc., etc.....so no, certainly not "abused".

What car is it?

My sister's company used to have Rover 75s for the directors and all of them had the head gasket go at least twice before 75,000 miles, yet none of the Hondas owned by the same company over the years has ever had a head gasket problem, so part of it at least is due to the engine, rather than luck.

Apart from whatever design issues that may be caused for individual models, the failure coefficient of cylinder head gaskets is random once the gasket has bedded in, so it may have failed irrelevant of driving style, distance driven or anything else.

Fair point made...gets through it's MOT without much of a struggle, and is "looked after" as regards oil changes, etc., etc.....so no, certainly not "abused".

Yeh same here maybe they can elaborate what they mean by not looking after it correctly?

What car is it?

My sister's company used to have Rover 75s for the directors and all of them had the head gasket go at least twice before 75,000 miles.....

And guess what?!

Bet you wish you could pick your Lotto numbers equally as well!

Yes, spot on.....'tis indeed a 75....

And guess what?!

Bet you wish you could pick your Lotto numbers equally as well!

Yes, spot on.....'tis indeed a 75....

Then very sadly I don't think you've got a hope in hell of making a claim on anybody for anything. I was originally shocked at how many problems the company was having with their 75s, but once one car had been through it, it started to become a bit of a stuck record.

One of the cars had the head gasket go within yards of a main Rover dealers, having done only 45,000 miles. The dealers compounded the issue by declaring that there was nothing wrong with the car so it was taken on a motorway and by the time the car actually broke down there was so much damage that the whole block needed to be replaced. This was paid for by the garage when proof was shown that it only had that damage because of their incompetence. £7k worth of work was then trashed when the head gasket went again 15,000 miles later.

My advice would be to cut your losses and get rid of the car I'm afraid.

Mate if it's a rover the engines are poo. Common as, we don't do head gaskets on rovers anymore where I work because they keep coming back. Sheffield engine services advise new engines.

Archived