Blown head gasket..

Mate if it's a rover the engines are poo. Common as, we don't do head gaskets on rovers anymore where I work because they keep coming back. Sheffield engine services advise new engines.

If it's the 1.8 engine,they did have head gasket problems,fitting the uprated head gasket & new head bolts,seems to cure it.I would imagine,the profit margin on buying a NEW engine,& having it fitted,would make it worth while recomending that by the Company concerned.

Mate if it's a rover the engines are poo. Common as, we don't do head gaskets on rovers anymore where I work because they keep coming back. Sheffield engine services advise new engines.

Hmmmmm.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, then!

If it's the 1.8 engine,they did have head gasket problems,fitting the uprated head gasket & new head bolts,seems to cure it.I would imagine,the profit margin on buying a NEW engine,& having it fitted,would make it worth while recomending that by the Company concerned.

Good point - ta.

My one reservation is that I think - think - that it was supposedly the "uprated" job with new bolts last time!

When I had an MGF and was on the Rover forums there were plenty of owners who suffered two, even three HGFs on the same car, no matter how carefully the drove or went for the "uprated gasket" repair.

And then others drove them hard or owned them since new and had clocked up 100,000 miles and never had a problem. I had two F's and a Rover 25 and they had no head gasket issues.

The best advice given was to simply keep £1000 aside for the inevitable repair.

The original rover gaskets were a joke they looked like a sheet of baco foil with a drizzle of silicon on it the upgraded ones are good but the best ones to use are multi layered steel type,the trouble comes when the owner boils it to death trying to get it home usually they put cold water in it that not only damages the cylinder head it all so can damage the cylinder block as well so no amount of skimming the or crack testing the head will seal it properly even fitting a new head does not seem to work for long, and they will go after a short time that is why a lot of garages say sometimes you are better off fitting an engine,Im into Mitsubishi diesels and they have head gasket problems I must have done twenty of them in the past I found out early on that the MLS gaskets seem to work a lot better but then again it is down to the skill of the guy doing the job and what kind of damage the owner did to it before it came in for repairs.

We know who to aviod in future as one advertise as a mechcanic on here

Just advised that my car's head gasket's blown....again.

Looking back at my records, it turns out that it's only just 3.5 years, and only 11.5k miles, since I last had it replaced, complete with a cracktested and skimmed head, new bolts and cambelt fitted at only 66k miles.

Bearing in mind that the car's done less that an average annual mileage in over three years, am I being unreasonable to consider it "unfortunate", or should I take the matter up with the original mechanic?

Mine went at 30.000 miles and again at 44.000 miles :(

Archived