Blown head gasket..

It is very true the engine block top gets distorted with over heating and the two services never match properly no amount of head gaskets or new heads will make that seal properly ever again there is no way of skimming a cylinder block top so it is a new engine when that happens and it does happen quite often.

When I had an MGF and was on the Rover forums there were plenty of owners who suffered two, even three HGFs on the same car, no matter how carefully the drove or went for the "uprated gasket" repair.

And then others drove them hard or owned them since new and had clocked up 100,000 miles and never had a problem. I had two F's and a Rover 25 and they had no head gasket issues.

The best advice given was to simply keep £1000 aside for the inevitable repair.

Mine is still going strong after 110,000 miles and 17 years :D

Just advised that my car's head gasket's blown....again.

Looking back at my records, it turns out that it's only just 3.5 years, and only 11.5k miles, since I last had it replaced, complete with a cracktested and skimmed head, new bolts and cambelt fitted at only 66k miles.

Bearing in mind that the car's done less that an average annual mileage in over three years, am I being unreasonable to consider it "unfortunate", or should I take the matter up with the original mechanic?

Try to "take it up with the original mechanic" please don't wast your time. After 3.5 years he WILL laugh at you I guarentee it.

Angel.

• 2 weeks later...
The cylinder linners wear. And cause more running problems!

...and apparently in my case, the liner's blown, and has allowed water into the cylinder. Bit more than a head gasket job, now.....replacement engine required at only 77k miles!

Archived