Blown head gasket..

Could be worse! In 1980, I had the extremely unfortunate 'job' of trying to flog BL cars (Allegros, Maxis, Itals...) As if that wasn't tough enough, it was in...Stocksbridge.

Anyway, the MD of a large company bought a brand new Rover SD1 (see numerous Top Gears). By 12,000 miles, two engines had blown. He brought it in for its third new engine (still at 12,000) and told me 'If it goes again, you can collect it personally.' I asked him 'Why so?' and he explained that he was off to the South of France.

Two days later, we heard he'd died of a heart attack...

They don't make 'em like they used to.

Rover 25's and 75's are well known for blowing head gaskets. Look on ebay or gumtree and see how many are for sale as spares or repair. If the car is otherwise in excellent condition then look at having a re con engine fitted, otherwise turn it into a £250 scrap cube.. or palm it off on some poor unsuspecting beggar on ebay or gumtree. I hear that Mdf dust in the engine stops leaks for a sale. not that I would endorse this unscrupulous deed ;)

Archived