Acres Hill School

is there anybody who attended acrea hill junior school when it first opened in the early 50s, i was located their from darnall annexe, some teachers i remember are miss gardner, miss powel, mr maxi and mr thackery, does anybody remember them, some lads names, martin machen, m hodkin, m ball, b witherford, g newton, c huntington. :help:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I attended Acres Hill school in 1955/56 when I was 5/6 we lived in a terraced house at 32 Poole Rd Darnell which I think has now gone. We left for Australia in 1956 on Xmas eve. Unfortunately I cant remember much. Alan Littler Coffs Harbour

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I was there Oct '66 to Dec '68. First in J3Y with Mrs Harwood as the teacher, then on to J4Y where we had Mr 'Piggy' Porter. Can remember some of the children's names but wouldn't post them out of respect for privacy. Were you one of the select 5 in Mr Porters class who were part of the "laughing gas" crew? Fond memories!

• 3 months later...

I was at Acres Hill then and I was in Mrs Harwoods class, she lived at Woodhouse. I remember Mr Hemstock who kept calling him watch Big Ben, Mrs Garderer who made the kids lives misery and well remember Mr Porter. Wasnt in the crew though.

I was mates with Kenny Cockroft, Graham Knight, Howard Holmes, Micheal Sharrock, Stephen Lee and lived next door but one to Philip Hawley on Prince of Wales Road.

• 6 months later...

i was there on opening day the teachers i remember were miss gardner, miss powell, my first was mr thackery, he was andy with the slipper, we had trips out to liverpool,southport and hillsbough to see the queen, we were given coranation cups and penknives that wont

be aloud nowdays.

I went to both Infants and Junior school from 63 to 69. My first teacher at the infant school was called Miss Adams and I remember she was really nice. The Headmaster at the junior school was Mr Housley and I remember my teachers as Miss Clarke, who made my life a misery, Mr Hemstock a lovely large jolly man, Mr Wolstenholme very good with the slipper and Mrs Harwood one of my favourite ever teachers.