Acres Hill School

I did go to Acres Hill Infants and Junior School, but started January 1958. I had older relatives there though.

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 09:24 ----------

Me again - my teacher in Infants was Miss Winspear, a lovely lady who wore lovely dresses with lots of underskirts. In junior school, my life also was made a misery by Miss Clarke - I was reminded of her recently when I found she was a friend of a relative:gag: I then had Miss Adamson - what a luney; if you made a silly mistake she would grip your shoulders and shake you ... no wonder kids have mental problems! Then I had the fabulous Miss Gardiner (spelt with an "i", quote "I am NOT a Gardener"). I was fortunate enough to meet her in town one day, about 17 years after I'd left and was able to thank her and give her my gratitude because I, along with most of her classes, passed the 11+ and had a great education. The Headteacher was a woman whose name I can't remember. My cousin was in Miss Middleton's class (B class) - what a horror, she sometimes wouldn't let children go to the toilet when they asked and there were accidents! Also, didn't she hit across the knuckles with two rulers put together? Mr Thackery was handy with throwing board rubbers and didn't the nutcase have a one-way system round the class? Mr Hempstock, music, was quite nice. Also, the lady who played piano for assembly and dancing, Mrs Yates, had one false leg. Even taking into account the sadists, Acres Hill was a great place to go to school.

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 09:27 ----------

Me again, again. When I met up with Miss Gardiner all those years later, she remembered me instantly, and my siblings, our names, my brother's best friend's names, in what order we came through the school. Amazing!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...