Are football grounds a valuable underused local resourse?

I pass by Hillsbrough footbal ground quite regularly, and it occurs to me that it sits there most of the time, dormant and empty.

I'm not a football fan, but most football grounds are not used at all (as far as I know apart from the corporate facilities) during the off season, and at best, only once a week during the football season.

Isn't there a better way they could be used locally and for the benefit of locals? This would generate funds for the club and maybe they could reduce the ticket prices for fans of the club, and so generate even more income, cos then it would be affordable to attend matches, so attendance would rise!

Why would income from other sources make football more affordable?

Ummm..well, I assume that while a ground is not being used for anything, then presumably there's no revenue at all. If however it was used somehow, presumably that would generate 'some' income. Which I would assume could be reflected in ticket prices when it is used.

I'm no expert in these things and certainly not privvy to football stadium finances. But it does seem one hell of a waste to have it dormant for a good percentage of the time.

Do you honestly think that a football club would reduce ticket prices due to extra income from other sources.

While the pitch and stadium seating may look empty most of the time, other parts of the stadium are used quite often.

Do you honestly think that a football club would reduce ticket prices due to extra income from other sources.

While the pitch and stadium seating may look empty most of the time, other parts of the stadium are used quite often.

Well, if enough income was generated by other means, then there's no reason they couldn't...apart from greed of course!

I did mention the corporate facilities in my first post!

I doubt very much any ground would be keen on risking the state of their pitch turf to anyone that fancies using it. I doubt many organisations would be willing to put up the cost of replacing the turf if badly damaged by their use of the ground.

The rest of the facilities at these venues do get used however.

I quite like the idea of seeing people running up and down the steps of these stadiums as it seems is very popular in makers of American films! I guess the grounds wooul dbe worried about someone getting injured if they allowed that.

I doubt very much any ground would be keen on risking the state of their pitch turf to anyone that fancies using it. I doubt many organisations would be willing to put up the cost of replacing the turf if badly damaged by their use of the ground.

The rest of the facilities at these venues do get used however.

I quite like the idea of seeing people running up and down the steps of these stadiums as it seems is very popular in makers of American films! I guess the grounds wooul dbe worried about someone getting injured if they allowed that.

What about Wembley when they used to stage concerts there? Didn't they cover the pitch? I imagine the revenue for those events made it quite worthwhile.

Archived