Are football grounds a valuable underused local resourse?

Well, if enough income was generated by other means, then there's no reason they couldn't...apart from greed of course!

I did mention the corporate facilities in my first post!

And there's your answer.

Think about the new premier league tv deal that's going to kick in soon. It will mean a huge increase in income for the clubs. I think I read that when the new deal kicks in the team finishing bottom of the permier league will earn more than what man city got for winning.

Will tickets prices go down due to the huge increase in income for the clubs, I highly doubt it.

What about Wembley when they used to stage concerts there? Didn't they cover the pitch? I imagine the revenue for those events made it quite worthwhile.

I think Wembley is a different kettle of fish when it comes to concerts, Wembely i would think is used for the mega concerts where they need the huge 70,000 or so capacity.

The Wednesday ground vs a concert staged at the Sheffield arena. I'd think capacity wise there wouldn't be much in it. So why use a football stadium like Hillsbrough when you have a purpose built facility just down the road.

And there's your answer.

Think about the new premier league tv deal that's going to kick in soon. It will mean a huge increase in income for the clubs. I think I read that when the new deal kicks in the team finishing bottom of the permier league will earn more than what man city got for winning.

Will tickets prices go down due to the huge increase in income for the clubs, I highly doubt it.

As I said, I don't know that much about finances of stadia. And you're probably right, but it does seem that an empty stadium is a waste. I'm not sure what the answer might be though.

I don't actually mind football, and would occasionally like to go to the odd match, but I don't like the prices they charge for entrance, especially if you go as a family. I have to admit, I don't know what it costs locally, but I've heard some of the prices of the hi-flying clubs and they're just plain crazy and makes me wonder how all those fans actually afford to go!

I think Wembley is a different kettle of fish when it comes to concerts, Wembely i would think is used for the mega concerts where they need the huge 70,000 or so capacity.

The Wednesday ground vs a concert staged at the Sheffield arena. I'd think capacity wise there wouldn't be much in it. So why use a football stadium like Hillsbrough when you have a purpose built facility just down the road.

I suppose a lot would depend upon the ticket prices! I can't afford the prices they charge at the arena! But then I'm assuming that's to a large extent dictated by the promoters. But if the tickets were half the price to watch or see someone at Hillbro, then it would be a no-brainer!

I highly doubt ticket prices are going to come down, be it a pop concert or a football match regardless of how much it costs to stage the event. They charge whatever they think the public are willing to pay and alot of people are willing to pay top $ to watch these events. Just because it cheaper to stage an event at a different venue will unlikely result into cheaper prices, it just means them running the show make more money. As I've said they charge what people are willing to pay and at the minute it looks like enough people are willing to pay.

As for empty football grounds, I'm sure the clubs have looked into and studied the possibility of useing the pitch and stadia to generate extra income for the club and weighted up all the pros and cons.

The capacity of the arena is 13,500. A concert staged at Hillsborough could accommodate about 50,000 people.

Ummm..well, I assume that while a ground is not being used for anything, then presumably there's no revenue at all. If however it was used somehow, presumably that would generate 'some' income. Which I would assume could be reflected in ticket prices when it is used.

I'm no expert in these things and certainly not privvy to football stadium finances. But it does seem one hell of a waste to have it dormant for a good percentage of the time.

If a football club expanded its market into other streams they would perhaps get their hands on more money but it wouldn't deflate the price of other streams; it would just mean a higher turnover.

Archived