Are football grounds a valuable underused local resourse?

I would have thought that happened all year round regardless!

I think they have a good going over between May and August..reseeding,returfing..drainage overhaul etc etc..stuff that takes more than a couple of days..only guessing though..

I think they have a good going over between May and August..reseeding,returfing..drainage overhaul etc etc..stuff that takes more than a couple of days..only guessing though..

Five months to tend a lawn?.....But yeah I suppose you might be right! I can only guess too! ;)

I hear all the arguments as to why they can't / won't do anything with the place when it's not being used, and they're all perfectly logical arguments.

But whichever way you look at it....It's still a waste in my view. But hey ho.

It's the same with racecourses - a lot of land, expensive to maintain and not much use for anything else

As with racecourses, the buildings can be used for other things, but other profitable, temporary uses for the grassed bit are few and far between

Stadium concerts are often profitable (although not always), but there is a lot of competition for the relatively few bands that can fill one

Five months to tend a lawn?.....But yeah I suppose you might be right! I can only guess too! ;)

I hear all the arguments as to why they can't / won't do anything with the place when it's not being used, and they're all perfectly logical arguments.

But whichever way you look at it....It's still a waste in my view. But hey ho.

Five months..? Just over 2 really..maybe 3 at a push...what would you use the grounds for if you could?

It's the same with racecourses - a lot of land, expensive to maintain and not much use for anything else

As with racecourses, the buildings can be used for other things, but other profitable, temporary uses for the grassed bit are few and far between

Several racetracks now have a golf course on the inside of them, for use on non-race days; but that's quite obviously not a viable option for a football ground.

Stadium concerts are often profitable (although not always), but there is a lot of competition for the relatively few bands that can fill one

Don't they use some 'grassy parts' at racecourses for boot sales and various fayres. I know I used to go to Newton Abbot racecourse (I used to live down that way) on a Sunday for a giant boot sale they had there every Sunday (in season).

Archived