Happy 'throwing off colonial overlords' day, USA!

I never really understood the independence day business as not many of the US states were ever under British rule in the first place.

But the good thing about it is Canada didn't get embroiled in the civil war that followed after the independent states found they didn't get along too well.

Any excuse for a day off, waving a flag, teary eyed.

If Bastille day wasn't a 10days after I'm sure the French would celebrate the 4th too. It was after all, their victory really. :D

Any excuse for a day off, waving a flag, teary eyed.

If Bastille day wasn't a 10days after I'm sure the French would celebrate the 4th too. It was after all, their victory really. :D

I happened to be in France one Bastille Day many years ago. They closed all the streets in the town and wagons selling beer and wine were brought in. There was dancing in the town square past midnight with plenty of food.

One of the reasons I like the French so much. They're proud of their country and dont suffer from any neurotic inhibitions about " displays of patriotism" being a foolish, outdated and unecessary emotion. Same could be said for the Americans also

Laissez les bon temps roule !! :thumbsup:

The Americans ought to be ashamed of getting rid of their wise, old, elders and betters, over 200 years ago.

We taught them how to use a knife and fork and how to spell properly. Now look what 's happened ! They cut everything up and eat with the fork only.............and can 't spell words like ' theatre ' and ' centre '. I bet even their butlers and footmen are only half-trained !

So, shame on you, America ! In fact we might never help you out again !

The Americans ought to be ashamed of getting rid of their wise, old, elders and betters, over 200 years ago.

We taught them how to use a knife and fork and how to spell properly. Now look what 's happened ! They cut everything up and eat with the fork only.............and can 't spell words like ' theatre ' and ' centre '. I bet even their butlers and footmen are only half-trained !

Well we hardly speak the same lianguage do we? When I first started going out with my future wife we decided to go cycling early in the morning one day.

The evening before I told her I'd knock her up around 6 in the morning. I got the strangest of looks in return and the reply.

"You Englishmen dont believe in wasting any time do you"?

I thought it was the Scots who helped build the USA!

And drive the English out.

Is it also true that a Scotsman was president?But little is known about it.:huh:

I thought it was the Scots who helped build the USA!

And drive the English out.

Is it also true that a Scotsman was president?But little is known about it.:huh:

If he wasn't born in the US he could not have been President

They always refer to it as "4th of July" for some reason even if the standard American date system is Month, Day, Year

Because it would not have fitted in with words of 'Yankee Doodle Dandy'

'As high as as the flag on July the Fourth'

does not metre, as does,

'As high as the flag on the Fourth of July'

Advertising again from our corny cousins.

If he wasn't born in the US he could not have been President

The greatest American Scot was Andrew Carnegie was he not?

He was probably too busy making money to be President. :D

Archived