Slave descendants have superior athletic genes!

I thought black runners were just physically more powerful in their upper legs,than whites (but only over short distances)
But that wouldnt explain why some African regions produce excellent long distance runners shane

Depends what you mean by 'survival of the fittest'.

Hunter gatherers died out, (apart from aborigines,and a few other groups) those who turned to farming excelled.

Bit off tangent,but brain power beats brawn.

A tribe of hunter gatherers still exists in Australia. It is believed that they are successful due to their small stature, they are the Hellawi tribe.

They are a very proud tribe and walk through the long grass chanting

"We're the Hellawi"...... :D

Darwins theories of natural selection and survival of the fittest do come into play.

"Origin of the Species" is a must read for anyone genuinely interested.

That's my next read.

Try reading guns,germs and steel.(A short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years)By Jared Diamond.

A fascinating read.

But that wouldnt explain why some African regions produce excellent long distance runners shane

I know.It puzzles me a bit??

Without me doing a good old google,i don't seem to recall any successful long distance black African athletes pre 1990s.:huh:

Blacks should rise above their class then and become more than bottom rung, working class at best.

Its always someone else fault isnt it when blacks dont achieve something THEY think they should.

:rolleyes:

^^

This one could do with rising a bit, itself. the quality of the trolls on here just gets worse. :D

So your not black then?

The contraction of 'you are' is not 'your'.

You stuck your ore in

Into what was this 'ore' stuck, I wonder? A blast furnace, perhaps? :hihi::roll:

In addition to the relationship between slavery and athletic ability discussed on this thread, the quoted poster seems keen to demonstrate the connection between bigotry and buck stupidity.

blacks might be good at the long jump and 100 and 200 meters, just wake me up when you see a black man or woman in a swimming pool in the Olympics anywhere near the medal positions.

can't believe the level of ignorance about blacks, and prowess at tennis, a sport generally associated with relative wealth, and middle class suburbia in the United States, the first black Wimbledon champion, wasn't Arthur Ashe or the Williams sisters it was Althea Gibson, who won Wimbledon in two successive years, back in the 1950s, a totally seminal event people have largely forgotten about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althea_Gibson

But it doesn't explain why some African nations don't produce good long distance runners. Most African long distance runners come from the East coast countries such as Kenya, Ethiopia and such and not from the West coast countries where slaves were shipped to the Americas. Maybe the East coast people were slaves to Arabs? I dunno, I never heard of that but that's not to say it didn't happen.

there is massive physiological difference between West Africans (from whom most American blacks are descended from), who dominate the power events like 100 meters and long jump, and east Africans from Kenya and Tanzania, etc who have produced a long line of distance running champions. You can see observable physiological differences, between blacks of different tribes, even within a single nation state, anybody who isn't a total moron, can usually spot a Zulu from a Xhosa in South Africa just by looking at them, even if they are wearing the same kind of clothing. The shape, and size of the bodies, and the way they move, identifies them.

But it doesn't explain why some African nations don't produce good long distance runners. Most African long distance runners come from the East coast countries such as Kenya, Ethiopia and such and not from the West coast countries where slaves were shipped to the Americas. Maybe the East coast people were slaves to Arabs? I dunno, I never heard of that but that's not to say it didn't happen.

Interesting point, it's made me think about the physical differences between say Ethiopians and people from Ghana. Just thinking out loud, but I guess there's little racial diversity between different African countries, which will exaggerate the physical differences between them.

Ethiopians tend to be very lean in muscle density and skeletal frame whereas those from Ghana tend to be beefier. Again, all conjecture but presumably the higher muscle density produces more power but has a higher energy requirement that the human body cant maintain over long periods.

Extending this racial diversity thing further, I wonder whether it applies to some East European countries which 'seem' to be able to produce lean, lanky individuals (particularly female) who excel at tennis. Many of the East European females are striking creatures over 6ft, it's very rare to encounter a British woman (black or white) who's over 6ft.

there is massive physiological difference between West Africans (from whom most American blacks are descended from), who dominate the power events like 100 meters and long jump, and east Africans from Kenya and Tanzania, etc who have produced a long line of distance running champions. You can see observable physiological differences, between blacks of different tribes, even within a single nation state, anybody who isn't a total moron, can usually spot a Zulu from a Xhosa in South Africa just by looking at them, even if they are wearing the same kind of clothing. The shape, and size of the bodies, and the way they move, identifies them.

Fascinating stuff, I didn't appreciate the physical differences could be taken down to a tribal level, but as a Brit I can spot a Somalian compared to a Ghanayan a mile off, whereas to some they just look like 'black people'.

Archived