Slave descendants have superior athletic genes!

The Williams sisters.

You've got to factor in that some of the African nations don't have a culture in which they have motor sport, or snooker. They may indeed be terrible snooker/rugby players, but until they've tried to be great players then you can't conclude that their race is the factor that makes them awful.

To come to football aswell, black players do consistently show extreme talent. You can't conclude that they lack skill because of their race.

That's not a sport. ;)

What about long distance running too. That's not about explosive power.

Yes I forgot about the Williams brothers. But they're still in the vast minority of players over the years..

Yes I forgot about the Williams brothers. But they're still in the vast minority of players over the years..

You could just as easily say that there are no white working class tennis champions...maybe for the very same reasons..

But they're still in the vast minority of players over the years..

The vast minority of what players?

If 1000 elite tennis players exist, and 2 are black, then you'd put black tennis players in the minority. If 100 black people tried to become elite tennis players, and 2 were succesful, then one would look at that statistic differently.

Given that a huge and overwhelming majority of "black people" live in countries, or communities, where leisure time is all but nonexistent and free money to spend on sports activites is even less available, I'm not sure why anyone would take this as evidence that they are genetically unable to compete.

As for the world cup, that's been won at least twice by teams that had a lot of black players in them.

Yes but look at the sports that black nations compete in, they haven't done much apart for running ability.

Black people do do well individually over here but I though we were talking about race in general? That's what's claimed in the article, black people are better at the gold ribbon events at the Olympics, for which I agree. I was just pointing out that white people succeed far more at some other sports.

I take your point about some activities not being available. But if we stick to the major sports, I think white people have been more successful..

You could just as easily say that there are no white working class tennis champions...maybe for the very same reasons..

I thought we were talking about race?

The vast minority of what players?

If 1000 elite tennis players exist, and 2 are black, then you'd put black tennis players in the minority. If 100 black people tried to become elite tennis players, and 2 were succesful, then one would look at that statistic differently.

The vast majority of successful tennis players are white. By the same rule I think plenty American Football stars and Basketball players are black..

I am talking about race though in general. Black v White.

Yes but look at the sports that black nations compete in, they haven't done much apart for running ability.

Basketball is another obvious example. It's a very skillful game. Given a culture where they have the time and resources to learn a skill they're equally as capable as a kid in a field in Britain is of learning to kick a football around.

Black people do do well individually over here but I though we were talking about race in general?

We were talking about the inherent qualities of people who survived slavery. :)

I was just pointing out that white people succeed far more at some other sports.

No no. You said that "white people are more successful at the sports that require skill".

Archived