Slave descendants have superior athletic genes!

Black men and women excel at Basketball, track and field, Kenyans win marathons, perhaps it comes from training among lions. They are almost non existent in ice hockey or the Tour de France, though the bike couriers of New York City are quick and skillful. They are approaching 50% in football, and own American football, except as quarterbacks or defensive tackles.:)

I agree with the point BF and others have been making about black people being effectively, "locked out" of participating in some sports. By the same rule this happens to white people, but this is because of class or financial limitations.

This is probably the reason we, as a nation, are pretty rubbish at some sports. No doubt there's some poor kids in a school in England somewhere who could win Wimbledon if given the opportunity.

To open the debate up further I will claim that middle class people are rubbish, as a rule, at sport on the whole and they only excel at sports that working class people don't play.

Oh and they can't dance either...:)

I agree with the point BF and others have been making about black people being effectively, "locked out" of participating in some sports. By the same rule this happens to white people, but this is because of class or financial limitations.

This is probably the reason we, as a nation, are pretty rubbish at some sports. No doubt there's some poor kids in a school in England somewhere who could win Wimbledon if given the opportunity.

To open the debate up further I will claim that middle class people are rubbish, as a rule, at sport on the whole and they only excel at sports that working class people don't play.

Oh and they can't dance either...:)

Maybe it's self belief and believing that there is no viable alternative.

In the middle east many believe if you do not study hard and gain a degree in medicine/law/engineering you will end up being someone's cleaner or tea maker.

I believe this makes them more likely to succeed in academia.

I disagree with the 'middle class folk can't dance' premise as almost everyone I know is not middle class and none of them can dance, including myself. Even when giving it my all and making shapes on the dance floor, the shapes are horrifically disturbing.

I'd say tall people with big feet were at a much greater disadvantage in dancing than any particular socioeconomic group.

I disagree with the 'middle class folk can't dance' premise as almost everyone I know is not middle class and none of them can dance, including myself. Even when giving it my all and making shapes on the dance floor, the shapes are horrifically disturbing.

I'd say tall people with big feet were at a much greater disadvantage in dancing than any particular socioeconomic group.

If it's any consolation a considerable number of black men I know, cant dance either, myself included..but then we do all have unfeasibly large........

....feet :hihi:

No doubt there's some poor kids in a school in England somewhere who could win Wimbledon if given the opportunity.

That's spot on, if you think about the size of the rarefied social/economic gene pool where the LTA hope to draw future Wimbledon champions from it's not difficult to appreciate that we're unlikely to challenge the Americans and East Europeans day in day out.

Conversely if the kids from Darnall, Southey, Burngreave, Parson Cross, Wybourn were routinely playing tennis, the likes of the Williams Sisters, Sharapova and Djokovic would be reduced to being ball boys & girls ;)

If it's any consolation a considerable number of black men I know, cant dance either, myself included..but then we do all have unfeasibly large........

....feet :hihi:

Hahaha. Try rocking a pair of size 13 disco shoes. Looks like badly performed panto. :(

I'd like to see a support group started for people who can't dance. I had salsa lessons for almost 3 years and still have less rhythm and finesse than a mating hippo.

Archived