The baliffs are on form this year

Azzbo

Yes, I agree. I think they have an instinctive "knowledge" of what is good or bad for them (particularly regarding food) in the same way that they instinctively know how to breed. Anything else is "learned" from experience.

Certainly more intelligent than me at times. They can sense when something's not right. I've had the water "boiling" with carp taking floating pellets, yet put a banded pellet out there and it's the only one that gets ignored. They can see the line, see the hook (small though it may be), or my pellet is a little lower in the water.

Acoording to the late & very great Richard Walker, Carp are the cleverest fish, trout are the most stupid.

I fully agree. I am a carper and use two rods but catching fish is not the be-all and end-all. Obviously the desire to catch is there and important, but it is the challenge of outwitting the fish and the buzz you get when your efforts succeed that really counts. Fishing is an excuse to go into peaceful, serene surroundings, to watch and enjoy the wildlife and relax in tranquility (having said that: why am I always knackered when I get home?). When in beautiful surroundings, surveying the water and all around me, I feel at peace and at one with the world. Just to add another point: True anglers DO NOT leave litter. If one thing gets me mad it is finding fag packets, fag ends (yes - I am a smoker), hook packets, empty tins, discarded line, etc on the bankside. A true angler should leave nothing behind but his thanks.

well said rodnreeluk, thats the best summarisation of why us anglers fish, spot on

Archived