Would you move jobs?

Basically im a little ticked off with my employers new business model, we are being forced to follow a continental business plan,as a a global company they are trying to unitise everything even down to car choices.

I don't have an issue with some aspects and some of the changes are necessary (i know my colleagues well).

However they've introduced a tracker to the cars which i see as an invasion of privacy it also stops me sitting at home or finishing the decorating, i do work early and often work into the evening and weekends(although i have stopped ll since the tracker and do it in working hours)

I've all but got a new job,plus more than likely at least an offer for one other company.

Would you move after 8 years of service and no real issues (apart from personal motivation) and the tracker.?

Company car I guess? And your work means that you have to travel around?

Should you be sitting at home or doing the decorating during work time?

I can't answer your question, only you can decide if you want to move on to the new job.

Not being negative, but would the new job, have all the same problems as your old job, IF NOT MORE?

Forget the tracker, if you don't do anything wrong, no fear. A tracker on the car is for insurance purposes, not too spy on you.

Better the devil you know?

If you don't like the way the company you work for does business then you can either continue working for them and risk becoming ever more dissatisfied and unhappy or you can move and take the chance the new people are better.

One thing though, the car tracker would show you regularly doing work outside normal hours, even though it would also show you sitting at home occasionally

Would your management take that as a sign of enthusiasm and loyalty for the job or would they simply focus on the sitting at home bits ?

I would have a problem with it. In my job I am trusted to do the work and sort out my own hours. I did not realise until we started having to formally request holiday time a couple of years ago how little holiday I had been taking.

Now I make sure I take all of it with no guilt!

Things like this just make me feel less trusted and less willing, I often work weekends and evenings and I often take a long lunch or leave early. Its the employer that benefits from this as you work longer when the work is more intense. Working to specified hours means deadline or not you stop when the clock hits 5.

That said I don't have a company car!

Company car I guess? And your work means that you have to travel around?

Should you be sitting at home or doing the decorating during work time?

I can't answer your question, only you can decide if you want to move on to the new job.

Quite so - but should i be tracked in private time. My workload is self generated so if i choose to leave home @ 6.30 a.m and return home @ 3pm why is it an issue.

If i choose to have a home office day and fit a new door between phone calls,paperwork etc i personally can't see an issue.

It makes matters worse that our commercial manager runs a commercial business alongside his job and we all know full well he spends every Friday arranging events from home.

If you don't like the way the company you work for does business then you can either continue working for them and risk becoming ever more dissatisfied and unhappy or you can move and take the chance the new people are better.

One thing though, the car tracker would show you regularly doing work outside normal hours, even though it would also show you sitting at home occasionally

Would your management take that as a sign of enthusiasm and loyalty for the job or would they simply focus on the sitting at home bits ?

Now when things are going well,they would(and are doing) but what if things go south,i know the European manager and he is a tick box and numbers man,if the number of ticks alongside "negative" working practices show a decline in business he will only come to one conclusion.

(Can i just say - i haven't changed my working practices in 8 years,business growth has been monumental over the last 2 consecutive years and i have the highest operating profit globally out of 120 sales guys)

Archived