Pay and display machine in Hillsborough Park

The park is as much ours as is every piece of public land, every road, every patch of roadside grass. But clearly as well as creating the state to own these things collectively for us, we also give the state the power to manage them, and that includes allowing or not allowing parking as they see fit, or charging for parking.

True, I suppose we give them the right to do what they see fit when we all go and vote, don't we.

It's sad they can't see what they're doing to the local area.

Next time the local council elections come round, remember who was in power in the town hall and brought in these machines and charges....even better when they knock on your door asking for your vote, tell them how you and lots others oppose these charges in OUR parks.

The decision to charge for parking was made ages ago and will if I remember rightly be charging across all the parks.

It was a decision made to pick up the short fall the parks department have following the budget cuts. Money collected from this is to subsidise the parks department and the staff who work in the parks.

The decision to charge for parking was made ages ago and will if I remember rightly be charging across all the parks.

The only other park proposed was Endcliffe, and the Council have decided the number of spaces available does not justify the expenditure involved in installing meters and supervising them. (Despite the park being next to 2 neighbourhood parking zones which are regularly patrolled.)

It was a decision made to pick up the short fall the parks department have following the budget cuts. Money collected from this is to subsidise the parks department and the staff who work in the parks.

If the money does go towards paying staff to work in the parks then thats great, but I doubt we will see any proof of that happening, or anymore staff.

I hope i'm proved wrong.

I was wondering about this, as I couldn't remember the details.

If the money is going to support the parks department, which it sorely needs, I don't mind the charges at all.

If people are so worked up about their right to enjoy the parks, I'd hope they'd be willing to sacrifice a little towards their upkeep when times are hard. The cuts to Parks have been very damaging, and if we can help keep our green spaces in good order for 40p an hour, surely that's worth it.

Archived