Benefits advice please..complicated.

All i seem to be doing lately is asking for advice from you lovely sheffield forum persons....if dwp would answer their phones once in a while, i wouldnt have to! :hihi:

anyhow, heres the story.... my mum is disabled claiming high rate of dla and has done so since i was little.

my dad is claiming income support and carers allowance due to being her carer since i was little,

my dads health has gone from bad to worst over the last few months and due to his diabetes he has gone blind, having to have his leg amputated due to a nasty infection and now he has gone and broke his good leg!

he can no longer care for my mum, so iam now her full time carer as well as my dads, my dad has made a claim to dla and is still waiting for the decision.

i have now applied for carers allowance and income support on the grounds of being my mums full time carer, i cannot claim for my dad untill his dla decision comes through.

what i would like to know please is, will me claiming i.s and c.a affect my mum and dads benefits in anyway? obviously my dad wont be able to claim carers for my mum anymore, but what about their income support claim, will that be stopped? are my mum and dad entitled to income support in their own right bearing in mind the information above, if i claim income support as their carer? i know, its all very confusing, im racking my brains here! any help or advice very much appreciated.

All i seem to be doing lately is asking for advice from you lovely sheffield forum persons....if dwp would answer their phones once in a while, i wouldnt have to! :hihi:

anyhow, heres the story.... my mum is disabled claiming high rate of dla and has done so since i was little.

my dad is claiming income support and carers allowance due to being her carer since i was little,

my dads health has gone from bad to worst over the last few months and due to his diabetes he has gone blind, having to have his leg amputated due to a nasty infection and now he has gone and broke his good leg!

he can no longer care for my mum, so iam now her full time carer as well as my dads, my dad has made a claim to dla and is still waiting for the decision.

i have now applied for carers allowance and income support on the grounds of being my mums full time carer, i cannot claim for my dad untill his dla decision comes through.

what i would like to know please is, will me claiming i.s and c.a affect my mum and dads benefits in anyway? obviously my dad wont be able to claim carers for my mum anymore, but what about their income support claim, will that be stopped? are my mum and dad entitled to income support in their own right bearing in mind the information above, if i claim income support as their carer? i know, its all very confusing, im racking my brains here! any help or advice very much appreciated.

It sounds very complicated to me, I'd book an appointment with the CAB and let them help you sort it out....Good luck! :)

As above. Contact your nearest one via http://www.advicesheffield.org.uk/. I don't see why you're claiming CA to look after your dad as well as your mum as I didn't know you can get 2 lots of CA. You'd have to care for them 70 hours a week jointly and I don't think you're allowed 2 lots anyway. Your CA won't affect your parents' benefits - IS, IB or ESA. They'll still be entitled. DLA is on top of their other benefits.

As above. Contact your nearest one via http://www.advicesheffield.org.uk/. I don't see why you're claiming CA to look after your dad as well as your mum as I didn't know you can get 2 lots of CA. You'd have to care for them 70 hours a week jointly and I don't think you're allowed 2 lots anyway. Your CA won't affect your parents' benefits - IS, IB or ESA. They'll still be entitled. DLA is on top of their other benefits.

i know i wont be entitled to 2 lots of CA but i will have to inform them that iam both their carer...... as long as their IS wont be affected by me claiming income support on behalf of being their carer, that is all im worried about, they rely on that money.

I do not profess to know the answer to any of your questions, but, God Bless You.

Archived