Parents- Whats the best policy when kids bicker & taunt each other?

Lately, my 8 year old daughter along with several other kids on the street have started name-calling, bickering, teasing, and tormenting one another etc on almost a daily basis whenever they're together after school or on weekends, which always ends in tears.

It's got to the stage where personally, as a parent, I've had enough of it and dread 3:15 coming around. So, what's the best policy when dealing with a situation like this one? Obviously, you can chastise your own child if they continue to misbehave, but what do you do when it's someone else's child and they're telling you- "I don't have to listen to you, you can't tell me what to do, you're not my parent", and the child's parent/s don't seem to be dealing with the situation at all, or if they are, it doesn't seem to be changing anything?. What ever happened to kids having and showing respect to their elders? What ever happens to parents instilling this in their kids?

As much as our kid's argue and torment each other, and as much as it might upset and annoy me as a parent whenever I see my own child becoming the victim of it, the kids are normally best mates again within a couple of ours, so is it even worth risking falling out with one of your neighbours because you've told off their child for being cruel to your child?.

I find it hard to recognize whether I'm just being over sensitive to it all. What is the beat policy here?

As much as our kid's argue and torment each other, and as much as it might upset and annoy me as a parent whenever I see my own child becoming the victim of it, the kids are normally best mates again within a couple of ours, so is it even worth risking falling out with one of your neighbours because you've told off their child for being cruel to your child?.

I find it hard to recognize whether I'm just being over sensitive to it all. What is the beat policy here?

Put it down to kids stuff, otherwise you'll give yourself a coronary. They kiss n make up, all the part of growing.

Put it down to kids stuff, otherwise you'll give yourself a coronary. They kiss n make up, all the part of growing.

I'd agree with this, it aslo tends to be the parants that end up falling out over it.

A good spanking perhaps?
That might seem like the solution at the time, not sure that'd prove to be a practical long term solution though.

I'd agree with this, it aslo tends to be the parants that end up falling out over it.
Yes, I realize that kids will be kids, but there's been times when I've had to make my daughter to come inside(effectively grounding her even though she's done nothing wrong)just to put an end to the other kids tormenting her. I mean.. what do I do? let it continue? Tell off the other kids? Or, bring in my daughter to put an end to it? I don't think it's as black and white and clear-cut as it seems.

That might seem like the solution at the time, not sure that'd prove to be a practical long term solution though.

Yes, I realize that kids will be kids, but there's been times when I've had to make my daughter to come inside(effectively grounding her even though she's done nothing wrong)just to put an end to the other kids tormenting her. I mean.. what do I do? let it continue? Tell off the other kids? Or, bring in my daughter to put an end to it? I don't think it's as black and white and clear-cut as it seems.

have a sit down with your daughter and tell her the 'sticks and stones' bit, teach her just to ignore it and just to laugh at them.

she will find life alot easier if she doesn't listen to other people's cr@p.

worst thing you could do is get involved yourself, that would only make the torment worse, children especially at the ages you have mentioned can be very cruel but they can because at that age they do not understand the consequences of those actions and how it might affect others.

so like above teach her how to brush it off and ignore it.

if that doesn't work take her to karate or boxing lessons :hihi:

have a sit down with your daughter and tell her the 'sticks and stones' bit, teach her just to ignore it and just to laugh at them.

worst thing you could do is get involved yourself, that would only make the torment worse, children especially at the ages you have mentioned can be very cruel but they can because at that age they do not understand the consequences of those actions and how it might affect others.

Sounds like good sensible advice to me. Cheers!!.

Spot on!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree but you're not looking for a long term solution..I have daughters, been there and done it. For the time it takes you to come to what you think is a solution, the problem will most likely have sorted itself..if it hasn't it will do.

It won't be if you make it so, unless there's something more serious you haven't added. My girls torment each other every day..drives me bonkers but my usual response is..'hey if you cant conduct yourselves civilly then don't come whining in my space'.:hihi:

Painful yes, hurtful yes, frustrating yes..all the things my parents had to deal with with my brother and I :hihi:

Just be there for her when she needs a shoulder to cry on.

Don't get involved in child politics..specially girly one's :shakes:

We live in a world where adults are continually falling out very seriously with each other. Why should we expect our kids to be any better?

Hey...it is kids falling out and making up again. That is what they do. It is called growing up.

Archived