Speed awareness courses

Most people assume 'cos they've past their test they know enough.

I'm fortunate i've had advanced training provided and speed awareness courses - i know i don't know enough and the Highway Code and rules have been tweaked slightly in 3 decades of driving.

I would never have voluntarily attended either course.

I still drive above the speed limit.

I think concentration on speeding has made lots of drivers lazy and dangerous,they think just because they're doing 25 in a 40 or less than 70 on the motorway they a)are driving well and b)aren't a danger to others.

Your reasons for asking the question/for professing not knowing why anyone would go on the course are not clear.

The reason most people go on one is stated by the attendees is to avoid the points on their licence.

It might be their d/l that is at stake and, with that, their job or their clean licence "pride".

They may even approach such a course with an open mind to learning something. And many report, after the event, that they benefitted from the refresher.

There are plenty closed minds, though, in this world.

As for insurance costs, can you see premiums rising with points on your licence?

my answer was really in reply to Jeffery

So surely it's therefore up to the insurers to incentivise their policyholders.

That they don't implies that people who go on such courses aren't significantly less likely to have an accident than those who do.

Those who go on a course to get cheaper insurance are less likely to apply, or even remember, what was taught on the course than those motivated do so because it improves their driving. They'll still have the same likelihood of an accident.

Insurance companies aren't going to give discounts unless it saves them money. I'm not sure your idea will do that.

Taxation would apply to everyone, not just to people who break the law.

Not speeding is no harder today than it has ever been.

Have to disagree a little. When I had my Reliant 3 wheeler in the 60's it was difficult to break the speed limit, more so when it had 4 folk in it. Most of to-days motors will be quicker in 1st gear than the old 3 wheeler was in top gear. You certainly have to have your wits about you these days, the methods of catching "speeders" are many. Few are to do with safety, most set up to be cash cows. Just my opinion of course.

Angel1.

Have to disagree a little. When I had my Reliant 3 wheeler in the 60's it was difficult to break the speed limit, more so when it had 4 folk in it. Most of to-days motors will be quicker in 1st gear than the old 3 wheeler was in top gear. You certainly have to have your wits about you these days, the methods of catching "speeders" are many. Few are to do with safety, most set up to be cash cows. Just my opinion of course.

Angel1.

An opinion often stated, not just by you, in the face of the facts that are so easily researched (google is my friend, first response dates from 2009 but the facts haven't changed:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-1665884/Where-does-speed-camera-cash-go.html)

£110 raised in fines -> to Treasury -> to local road safety projects (if you are lucky and not to fund duck houses!)

Relate this sum to a single project fairly local to us: the short dual-carriageway A57 to Worksop from J31 of M1 - cost of this £17 million. The £110 million doesn't go very far, then.

If the scameras are that, it is an extremely inefficient way of raising revenue. So, if not that, what are they for?

Please stop perpetuating tabloid, Jeremy Buffoon nonsense about revenue-raising.

---------- Post added 29-10-2016 at 09:14 ----------

Aren't there several advanced type driving tests, and not all insurance companies recognise the different tests either.

I remember my friend did the pass plus course, only to find out it made naff all difference to his insurance premiums.

Let's not confuse PP with "Advanced".

It involves extra experience for the just-passed driver which is very useful.

"Advanced" is a style based on "Roadcraft" (the Police drivers manual) that is more involved and certainly more challenging than taking a just-passed driver out of their comfort zone(s).

Most/many driving instructors, in my experience, are still considering doing "Advanced" themselves.

"Advanced" badges don't generally attract meaningful insurance discounts, sadly.

And the DVSA and insurance companies have stepped back from their initial resounding backing/endorsement of PP.

Edited by DT Ralge

What is the criterion for being offered on one of these courses I got flashed doing 42 in a 30 mph there is no mention on this form they sent me about this course on it at all they also want £100 out of me as well as sticking three points on my licence I don't want anymore points on my licence as I run a courier business,it would bump up my already inflated insurance costs....

What is the criterion for being offered on one of these courses I got flashed doing 42 in a 30 mph there is no mention on this form they sent me about this course on it at all they also want £100 out of me as well as sticking three points on my licence I don't want anymore points on my licence as I run a courier business,it would bump up my already inflated insurance costs....

I think it's offered to people that only drift over the speed limit. 12mph over in a 30 is too much.