No more TB jabs - even though it's on the up?

hi ive just come home today and my wife says our nieces havent had there tb jabs yet , one is 12 and the other is 17 , my sister in law has phones the local doctors and he says they only give the jab to kids in the deprived areas , whats all that about , im tottally shocked the goverment would put our kids at risk , has anyone heard anything , ive got 2 kids and my sons medical pack he says he will have it between 8 and 12 , but my daughters pack says nothing about having it???

Since 2005 TB immunization of every child in the UK has stopped.

It is still available to all people who are at risk. This includes health workers, children in inner city London, children with family/work/travel ties with badly affected areas of the world.

The success rate of TB immunization (less than 80%) is well below that of other types which means that there is little "herd" protection as there is with others such as MMR.

In England there were more than 6,000 people diagnosed with the disease in 2002, in the 1950s it was 50,000.

There are different types of TB with different types of immunization needed. The TB type that is dangerous and increasing is not usually the BCG type which most children were given.

Children of school age in the UK are in the lowest risk group.

Apparently the jab only lasts 10 years or so anyway. We found out recently that my Gran has had it quite some time, or so they think. We got told we may have to all be vaccinated again, as its likely our jabs will have 'run out'. They asked me at hospital a few months ago when I was preganant, if any of my close family had TB; so I said yes. They said the baby could have a vaccine if it is in the immediately family, but Grandma isn't close enough a relation, despite me seeing her every week.

Apparently the jab only lasts 10 years or so anyway. We found out recently that my Gran has had it quite some time, or so they think. We got told we may have to all be vaccinated again, as its likely our jabs will have 'run out'. They asked me at hospital a few months ago when I was preganant, if any of my close family had TB; so I said yes. They said the baby could have a vaccine if it is in the immediately family, but Grandma isn't close enough a relation, despite me seeing her every week.

Not sure if that's correct , when i go to Zimbabwe , many of the children there have TB ( my ex employer a dr) I was told to go and have this checked to see if i was still immune and i was , so were all the people on the team who go out there. I think some peoples immunity may be compromised hence it stops working , I had my TB when i was 12 , I am now in my late 40s , I also guess it depends on if you react or not as to whether they will re inject you .

Oh I don't know then, just what they said. Maybe the level of immunity starts to decrease after 10 years, and some people lose it and others don't. Gran had hers at school, and by the time she was 65ish she had TB and had probably had it 'a while'. After being treated for a few years, shes just found out she still has it.

when I was at school for some reason they missed my year out of TB jabs so at 20 I still haven't had one. When we asked further as to why we were simply told they aren't needed any more

I remember having mine in year 6, then the year after me didn't get one in primary school. They then had their's in Year 9 or 10 at secondary school as they had decided they were needed again.

I remember having mine in year 6, then the year after me didn't get one in primary school. They then had their's in Year 9 or 10 at secondary school as they had decided they were needed again.

At my school it was either y9 or y10 can't remeber which year. But they decided for my year not to give it to us, and then started again for the year below

At my school it was either y9 or y10 can't remeber which year. But they decided for my year not to give it to us, and then started again for the year below

Thats strange just to miss one year. That must have been one of the years when they had decided it had pretty much cleared off and there was no risk then!

My friend is a health care proffessional and we were talking anout vaccines (as she's pregnant and how she is determined too get him everything he needs) and somehow got onto the topic of TB and she told me it isnt available anymore, even if you paid to et it private and even though she works in the medical profession she cant get it either. Only children who are more at risk recive it now and at birth as well, another cut back-couldnt believe it myself! still have the scar when i had mine at school cant believe they have stopped this.

Archived