£36k+ per year in rent for a market stall, RIP Sheffield market

If there were any serious issues wouldn't they have closed down already?

There are no H&S issues, the issue is that refurbishing to modern standards would cost more than building a new building.

I suppose if you don't care that it's an eyesore and embarrassing to have in the city centre then it could be left as competition for the new building, but IMO demolishing it, opening up the castle ruins and making a pedestrian route to the quay side is a good idea.

There are no H&S issues, the issue is that refurbishing to modern standards would cost more than building a new building.

I suppose if you don't care that it's an eyesore and embarrassing to have in the city centre then it could be left as competition for the new building, but IMO demolishing it, opening up the castle ruins and making a pedestrian route to the quay side is a good idea.

How much to demolish it and make a pedestrian route + the cost of excavation?

The embarassment is for the council who havn't maintained it

I do agree that the plans to open up the ruins and all the rest of it are nice to have but I'm uncomfortable about the council riding roughshod over the lives and livelihoods of the current occupants, I'm also a little sceptical about how the idea might look great on the drawing board but not quite measure up to our expectations in these penny-pinching times.

As for the cost of giving the existing market a facelift that surely depends on how far you want to take it, the too expensive to update argument is a typical stock argument used by people with a vested interest, used so often as to give me cause to question it's credence.

A facelift wouldn't solve it's problems, it needs completely redesigning.

Buildings have natural lifespans, I can quite believe that this one has reached the end of its.

The majority of the objection to the move to the new market building is based on price, which is something that the council haven't set or announced yet, the figure given here hasn't come from the council.

Do we really want a new purpose built market to sell dodgy fish/ chicken or fake clothing and stuff? Why not aim higher then shops for local chavs

Hopefully the new market will be a bit more up-market, so to speak; most of the shops in Castle market are just simply crap!