£36k+ per year in rent for a market stall, RIP Sheffield market

I was reading that 15 more traders have left during January taking stall occupancy down from around 85% to 75%.

The Council must be still giving the traders huge discounts as there is no way some of them would be still standing if paying thirty six grand rent plus over heads.

So if that is the case will they admit that the place is a failure as far as being self supportive is concerned.

I'll never go to the market as it's at the wrong end of town (so was the other one btw) and I don't like the people who are in there.

How can you know what the people in there are like, if you've never been in?

The Council must be still giving the traders huge discounts as there is no way some of them would be still standing if paying thirty six grand rent plus over heads.

So if that is the case will they admit that the place is a failure as far as being self supportive is concerned.

it be nice if they kept the same opening hours as the shops in the are, you know later than 5pm.

i wonder hoooooow much trade they lose to people popping into Sainsburys, Aldi and Waitrose on their way home from work rather than the market?

The council do have their bit to play in this mess, but a lot of it falls on the traders for not keeping up with the times.

it be nice if they kept the same opening hours as the shops in the are, you know later than 5pm.

i wonder hoooooow much trade they lose to people popping into Sainsburys, Aldi and Waitrose on their way home from work rather than the market?

The council do have their day bit to play in this mess, but a lot of it falls on the traders for not keeping up with the times.

Markets from Barnsley to Bognor, from Rotherham to Rome are just that .

Areas where people meet to talk,shop and trade. That human togetherness happens in the hours that revolve around a working day.

A day that starts when the kids have left for school and ends at the evening meal.

The Market is a traditional place in every corner of the World.

Only in Sheffield has that tradition been destroyed by so called historians and our caring Council.

Markets from Barnsley to Bognor, from Rotherham to Rome are just that .

Areas where people meet to talk,shop and trade. That human togetherness happens in the hours that revolve around a working day.

A day that starts when the kids have left for school and ends at the evening meal.

The Market is a traditional place in every corner of the World.

Only in Sheffield has that tradition been destroyed by so called historians and our caring Council.

Historians and council aside, I could never shop at Castle Market due to working hours. Nor can I shop at The Moor Market..

OK, I shop in the Moor Market more because of the side of the city I livbe in but only for odd bits on an occasional Saturday, I'm hardly a core customer.

However, if for instance, the Moor Market opened say Thursday, 11am-7pm then I would be more than happy to do a weekly shop there. As I would have been for Castle Market

The "working day" you describe is one that is a little lost now. It is no longer "husband off at work, Wife doing the shopping (cooking, cleaning, ironing etc)" as it were in my childhood. Market stalls are different to Sainsbury's, they are smaller staffed - often family - concerns, so I don't think LONGER hours are an answer. But maybe a trial of a late opening/closing just on one day?