£36k+ per year in rent for a market stall, RIP Sheffield market

T.Js were interested in moving in to that site before moving to the moor s bought and still owned by manchester-based property development and investment company CTP.

ALL SHEFFIELD HERITAGE/HISTORIC BUILDINGS SHOULD BE KEPT BY SHEFFIELD and NOT EVER SOLD TO PROPERTY BUYERs as Investments outside of this City.You City Planners so ANNOY ME....

ALL SHEFFIELD HERITAGE/HISTORIC BUILDINGS SHOULD BE KEPT BY SHEFFIELD and NOT EVER SOLD TO PROPERTY BUYERs as Investments outside of this City.You City Planners so ANNOY ME....

Was Castle House ever owned by the council? The Co-operative Society will have built and owned from the start and presumably sold it to this group. I'm not sure what the council could do, they can't go around buying up every empty shop. If you want to to complain about an old building in disrepair checkout the Old Law Courts / Town Hall round the corner from Castle House. At least Castle House is partially used and in reasonable repair...

Was Castle House ever owned by the council? The Co-operative Society will have built and owned from the start and presumably sold it to this group. I'm not sure what the council could do, they can't go around buying up every empty shop. If you want to to complain about an old building in disrepair checkout the Old Law Courts / Town Hall round the corner from Castle House. At least Castle House is partially used and in reasonable repair...

The council can impose a C.P.O. they have done it thousands of times in Sheffield .

C.P.O. Compulsory Purchase Order.

The council can impose a C.P.O. they have done it thousands of times in Sheffield .

C.P.O. Compulsory Purchase Order.

Only if they have a project in mind or the buidling is in disrepair, I think they're on their way to doing this for the Old Law Courts but Castle House not so much it's in reasonable condition and the owners seem somewhat active. Maybe it'll all be sorted for this glorious castle based theme park they're building ;)

That's great , I will be paying a visit, I hope they're not too pricey but surely worth a try. :thumbsup:

Last time I went they had wild venison (note wild, not farmed) it was delicious. They also have a good range of fish that you don't normally see elsewhere i.e the normal cod and haddock staple.

Monkfish is lovely!

Hake is lovely!

Dover Sole legs (mmm it's a growing taste!)

• 2 months later...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-18735215

£3000 a month is £36k per year.

(The big four supermarkets pay nowhere near this amount for such a small amount of space and they have space for free parking too!)

The cost will be passed onto the consumer, the consumer will shop elsewhere where the burden of rent is less.

I for one don't want to be paying vast sums of rent when trying to find a bargain cut of meat and some cheap veg.

RIP Sheffield market. Condolences to the people who used to work there.

0800 055 66 88 is the number you need to ring to make a new claim for dole.

Andy Ward market manager has just stated on Radio Sheffield that parts of the new Moor Mall may have to be used for other purposes .

It's in the wrong place Andy:mad:

No it isnt. Markets dont need to be as big as they once was as shopping habits have changed. Huge chunks of Castle Market were empty for ages towards the end.

Not in Barnsley and Doncaster along with most places they have not.

Sheffield could end up as the only big City in the World without a Market area.

Town Planning at its best.

I wasnt talking about Barnsley, or Doncaster, or Baghdad, or anywhere else you choose to pluck out of the air.

Most of the downstairs bit of Castle Market was shut for years. Bet it wasnt back in the 70's and 80's.

Shopping habits have changed, admit it.

That's great , I will be paying a visit, I hope they're not too pricey but surely worth a try. :thumbsup:

Not sure how much he charges for the lobsters & they might not have them in every day, but he's worth a visit for the other fish & game, he's usually got something good.

The fresh fish & meat in the market beats any supermarket.