£36k+ per year in rent for a market stall, RIP Sheffield market

One sentence can sum up this, and many other threads here on Sheffield Forum.

Change is not good!

Especially when you have to walk fifty yards further with some carrier bags.

FIFTY YARDS!!! Oh the humanity!!!!!! :loopy::loopy:

Which is further:

- the distance between the X78 stand at Meadowhall and the entrance of M&S

- the distance between the main entrance of the market and outside Brighgthouse where a multitude of buses leave from?

You make it sound like people have to traverse the Khyber Pass to get a bus home from The Moor, for crying out loud.

You havent explained about your plan to de-pedestrianise The Moor to put the bus stops bang outside the main entrance, any more details on that please?

I simply mean to stop all these buses you mentioned earlier on Eyre St. right next to, as close as possible to the market.

If it were a rainy day and people walk towards their bus they will use the market as a shortcut instead of walking away from it.

Moving towards vs away from something makes an enormous difference of how your brain reacts to it.

It may be just a small difference in distance but that is not the issue. What is important that you connect the market as much as possible with a major connection that many people use.

Now everybody walks away from the market as soon as you decide to use that transport connection.

Go and get some education on these matters, get some books from a library and come back with some less childish comments.

I simply mean to stop all these buses you mentioned earlier on Eyre St. right next to, as close as possible to the market.

If it were a rainy day and people walk towards their bus they will use the market as a shortcut instead of walking away from it.

Moving towards vs away from something makes an enormous difference of how your brain reacts to it.

It may be just a small difference in distance but that is not the issue. What is important that you connect the market as much as possible with a major connection that many people use.

Now everybody walks away from the market as soon as you decide to use that transport connection.

Go and get some education on these matters, get some books from a library and come back with some less childish comments.

Im not the one being childish here - if you really expect every bus in Sheffield to stop bang outside the last shop you visited, then you dont have much of a clue really.

If I am getting the bus somewhere I look up what stop it is. I ask somebody. I walk a few yards. It isnt difficult.

And generally if people are getting a bus FROM the market they have got a bus THERE in the first place so will have a good idea about where to go and catch it back from. Or did you conveniently forget that?

Edited by Vegas1

It is not my problem and I am laughing seeing watching how this moor market does not attract customers.

Do you know why post offices are inside large shops? Maybe you should have a chat with their managers before we continue about this matter?

This new market needs a magnet and connection.

Remove all other near bus stops and you force customers to come closer right at the entrance.

It is a psychological issue, yes a lazy one but it does work when applied.

The busses could be used as a mental force to force people to come closer.

I agree the physical distance is little and understand it is a small walk now. But you are not just a body, your brain also needs to be connected. By pumping huge numbers of people to and from the market entrance you make that brain connect as well and that could really help in its popularity.

The problem as I see it is that the new market was just given a new building with very high rents but nothing else changed. The market should open longer, either with the day time stall holders or with something else, such as Brixton market which is an eating and drinking mecca of an evening. This utilises the space and encourages greater footfall. Many potential customers do 9 to 5 jobs or thereabouts.

The rent was free for 6 months or something and then went through the roof, that does not appear to be a sustainable model and never was.

It also has stalls selling the same or similar stuff that they did in the old market, nothing wrong with that per say but hardly forward thinking or opening itself up to new users.

The list goes on.

I'd like it to succeed but it won't at this rate. Having said that I never go there as it sells nothing much that I want.

I don't often use the market any more. There is a lot of sneering about people not wanting to walk 'a few yards'.

But think of an old person with health problems and carrying shopping. Then the position of the bus stops is very important. It's fine getting off at Brighthouse and walking up to the market. But going the other way the bus stops are beyond the greengrocers shop on South St (?) That's when it becomes an issue for the said elderly person. Not that I know of any way bus stops could be any nearer so I don't say anything. I just don't go there.

My own opinion is that the market should have been relocated in the B&C building. But it wasn't so we are stuck with what we have.