£36k+ per year in rent for a market stall, RIP Sheffield market

Some of the comments on here you would think the new market was located a million miles away on top of a mountain with no transport links what so ever and not still within the city centre literally just down the road from the old one.

Does the new market offer what the old one did ? I've never been in either so I could be wrong but I'm guessing it doesn't.

Having read quite a lot of posts on here it is evident that the market is failing as customer numbers reduce month on month. It seems equally clear that telling folk that is illogical that they don't shop there isn't actually addressing the issues of why they don't shop there. Until those issues are adressed the market will continue to struggle and folk will shop elsewhere.

Sheffield Food Festival this weekend. Moor Market closed Sunday and Monday.

Why??

What it needs is not sunday/holiday opening.

It needs to pull/attract the customers all the time, if it cannot do it on normal days like it used to do and like other normal markets do as well.

Then opening on sunday and holidays is not the magic change that the market needs.

Sheffield market is not a time/day issue/problem. I walk past moor market not always but many times when it is open and get stuff elsewhere.

First solve that and then worry about the schedule.

Edited by dutch

Having read quite a lot of posts on here it is evident that the market is failing as customer numbers reduce month on month. It seems equally clear that telling folk that is illogical that they don't shop there isn't actually addressing the issues of why they don't shop there. Until those issues are adressed the market will continue to struggle and folk will shop elsewhere.

It boils down to convenience and habit. When they moved the market they broke a lot of well worn habits and people soon discovered that there are more convenient options in their local area. Added to that if you live or work in the locality of the market you probably work 9 to 5 which means you have to make an effort to go to the market when other shops are open when they aren't working.

It boils down to convenience and habit. When they moved the market they broke a lot of well worn habits and people soon discovered that there are more convenient options in their local area. Added to that if you live or work in the locality of the market you probably work 9 to 5 which means you have to make an effort to go to the market when other shops are open when they aren't working.

It has nothing to do with boiling, edit: it is rather frozen.

People travel from sheffield to Barnsley, chesterfield, Doncaster instead of the moor.

Edited by dutch

People travel from sheffield to Barnsley, chesterfield, Doncaster instead of the moor.

I've read the reasoning and these people are retirees going on day trips, the moor market simply does not offer this - Castle Market probably offered a certain nostalgia value but the actual offering hasn't changed in recent years. To trump convenience you have to offer a different or better product, in four years of visiting Sheffield markets I've yet to see any sign of this happening aside from a few stand out stallholders - who often leave to extend their opening hours to provide convenience as well!

No need to reason, just go with the facts.

Markets have historic, artistic, value and a certain social lively character.

Moor market has no historic value, It's design has little artistic value and out of touch with the whole area. While walking through it all these fun people who used to be there are gone now and it has become dull and boring.

This happened because there has been some competitive ego behind the project, I can feel it, and that edit: ego destroys it.

Edited by dutch

Moor market has no historic value, It's design has little artistic value and out of touch with the whole area. While walking through it all these fun people who used to be there are gone now and it has become dull and boring.

This happened because there has been some competitive ego behind the project, I can feel it, and that edit: ego destroys it.

They reinvented the wheel by making it square. In the meantime the old fashioned round version flourishes in market squares around the country where tourists wander cobbled streets under canvas and traders shout out their wares. Chuck in a good pub or two, ample parking and a decent cafe and the folks will turn up. Modern architecture is no substitute for tradition.

Whatever ethereal value Castle Market had is gone, we can't turn it back now you have to move forward with more convenience and/or better products. The character of the place will develop as new customers come and old ones return. It's no use bemoaning the loss of historic venue that is now rubble we have to make the best of what we have now.