£36k+ per year in rent for a market stall, RIP Sheffield market

I bet that if they just put up some market stall tents in a simple place in Sheffield city centre with some real typical experienced market characters running it in charge of it, not council idiots.

Sheffield could have a fine successful open market. It does not have to be indoors.

And that outdoor market would most likely be better and more successful than this stupid expensive upper class market on the moor.

Indeed. A zero rent market would make Sheffield a world beating market city in a very short timescale, it would probably even be so successful it would allow the current market to thrive.

I think some of the confusions over the New moor Market stall running costs, could be that there are two charges i believe, charge 1 rent, charge 2 Utilities, ie energy/cleaners etc, etc, i have heard that although dispensation is often spoken about rent reductions the utility charges were far more extortionate.

I cannot remember the exact name of the second charge or it's exact details as to what it exactly gets you but i do know after speaking to a stallholder friend, that the charges seemed way excesive on top of the rent.

If it was actually cheaper to rent a shop then I can't see successful traders like Binghams, Turners and Beer Central staying, they could standalone on Division Street like Simonites and set their own opening hours.

Walkley Beer Co. prices are (sometimes) considerably cheaper than Beer Central's and the owner of WBC said that was mainly due to the overheads including rent. Crawshaws opened a shop directly opposite the market and it seems to be doing a roaring trade.

I visit the market probably 3-4 times a week.....but mainly it's just to buy expensive and rare beer.

Walkley Beer Co. prices are (sometimes) considerably cheaper than Beer Central's and the owner of WBC said that was mainly due to the overheads including rent. Crawshaws opened a shop directly opposite the market and it seems to be doing a roaring trade.

I visit the market probably 3-4 times a week.....but mainly it's just to buy expensive and rare beer.

Walkley Beer Co must get a stunning deal on rent, they are only open 2 days a week.

I take it you now have found somewhere to buy local beers for £1 :D

Got some good quality vacuum bags and crappy cat litter tray bags from one of them outside moor stalls.

You can probably rent a cheaper bricks and mortar shop in Sheffield than pay for a market stall inside Sheffield indoor moor market. That is why many good fun traders have left. And the remaining ones now always have a long miserable unhappy face on. And the really good market deals have disappeared and we often pay supermarket prices there.

The food festival in city centre was great today, there was a nice atmosphere and some lovely products/displays. It was an entertaining, social experience.

I have had a great day today at the food festival. Well couple of hours. Had the nicest doughnut I have ever had (caramel) some nice hotdogs with "posh sausage" a hand made pie, sampled some nice products. My dad had a few pints and my mum had some alcoholic cocktails made with ice cream. All in all a great day out.

They should remove the wall dividing the inside market from the outside market, and allow traders to chose whether they want to be undercover or not, (some, eg meat sellers, might have to be inside.) One would then support the trade of the other.

It works brilliantly in Barnsley market.