Cannabis to be legalized! - Uruguay.

:mrgreen:

But will the monopoly work, perhaps they should legalise it and have a freemarket?

They absolutely should, but I suspect there is too much money to be made by the government and their "special interests" by not allowing free and open competition...

Meanwhile we have Louise Mensch's expressing ‘incredible regrets’ over her drug use on Question Time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18735858

Cards on the table here, I really do think that Louise Mensch is a horrible person, with similar horrible views to Nadine Dorries, but I really would suggest that somebody who admits to using drugs whilst lobbying to keep them illegal, should be forced to spend some time in jail.

Using drugs isn't illegal though, selling or possessing them are the crimes.

Meanwhile we have Louise Mensch's expressing ‘incredible regrets’ over her drug use on Question Time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18735858

Cards on the table here, I really do think that Louise Mensch is a horrible person, with similar horrible views to Nadine Dorries, but I really would suggest that somebody who admits to using drugs whilst lobbying to keep them illegal, should be forced to spend some time in jail.

Thats because Mensch - like most politicians - is a hypocritical idiot. How often do we hear this story trotted out?

"I did it and I deeply regret it and didn't enjoy it so I don't think you should do it" These people are lame and they suck and don't know how to party. There are people who manage to have powerful, positive, life affirming experiences because of drug use every weekend, every day even and nothing bad seems to to happen to them but we never get to hear their stories on the news. Why not?

Its foolish and its wrong to pretend that there can't be a potential upside to drug use in the short term if the user is able to manage themselves properly. Thats where decriminalization which would lead to better education and rehabilitation through taxation would succeed where prohibition has failed. Addiction can't be cured through criminalising the addict. Societal justice is never an answer to curing a problem of vulnerability, you either bring people into the circle or you push them out.

Its tragic that people die and suffer mental illness and trauma because they abuse and misuse drugs but the key words are abuse and misuse. People who use drugs rarely die. There are many levels of drug use in the same way there are many levels of laundry. Uruguay is recognising the subtle differences in its dirty laundry and taking steps to eradicate the differences. It won't win the war you'll never totally win it. There'll always be that guerrilla war and black market you'll never totally remove but Uruguay is at taking positive action for itself.

Well said disco, legalisation of all drugs is the only sensible way to go.

The state takes control, taxes drugs and can control quality equals less deaths.

Frees up so much time and money for the Police and other services.

Why are you so desperate to ignore the fact that the present laws have been a complete failure in preventing drug abuse?

I agree, Ken Clarke announced a few days ago that the Government are losing the war on drugs. They know it cant be controlled and when you get large sections of society ignoring the law then there must be a reason why.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9373230/Ken-Clarke-Britain-plainly-losing-war-on-drugs.html

Time a different approach was taken and that could include legalising some substances in some way or other.

Archived