Stupid driving on wet roads

The 'Onset of Aquaplaning' speed (in knots) is given by 9*(Square root of tyre pressure)(in psi.)

Most car tyres have an inflation pressure of between 25 and 36 psi, so the onset speed is between 45 and 54 knots. ABS and traction control systems will help to reduce the effects of aquaplaning - but they won't make it go away.

If you drive on a road which has more than 2mm of standing water at a speed above the onset speed, you're chancing your luck.

Nothing wrong with a good set of part worns, cheapos on the other hand...

jb

I bought a fairly cheap tyre as I had a flat 50 miles from home and needed to go on the M1 , the space saver don't cut it on motorways.

Anyways I had this tyre fitted at the first garage I came to and it was the only one he had and cost £54, summat called max grip f540 ?

Be Jesus !!! Any tiny bit of water I hit it honestly pulls my car all over the road like I'm a drink driver. I proper kaked my pants when going through a very tiny little kurb side puddle and I near flipped out. I never ever had this before on my car and mean that. I do 600 miles a week in the car and it was the first time I've ever sh*t myself.

I am now pooing myself every time I get in the car with the weather we are having and now I find myself driving on the centre broken white lines.

The 'Onset of Aquaplaning' speed (in knots) is given by 9*(Square root of tyre pressure)(in psi.)

Most car tyres have an inflation pressure of between 25 and 36 psi, so the onset speed is between 45 and 54 knots. ABS and traction control systems will help to reduce the effects of aquaplaning - but they won't make it go away.

If you drive on a road which has more than 2mm of standing water at a speed above the onset speed, you're chancing your luck.

Can I just add that you should multiply it by the specific gravity of the fluid (as I'm sure you know). You might not think it makes much difference but I've seen some surprising results when you have muddy field runoff that is on the road - you gowatersurfing at an even slower speed....

Can I just add that you should multiply it by the specific gravity of the fluid (as I'm sure you know). You might not think it makes much difference but I've seen some surprising results when you have muddy field runoff that is on the road - you gowatersurfing at an even slower speed....

Yup!

In Norfolk, there are two well-known (to locals) problems. - Problems which are particularly prevalent during the sugarbeet season.

"Mud" and "Slow Ud".

If you encounter either of these (particularly the latter) your chances are slim.:hihi:

The weather has been atrocious and you would think drivers would take the initiative by being more aware of the roads and conditions,not so.I have witnessed some drivers driving their cars today in the most stupid ,mind numbing way ever ,what's up with these people :loopy:

There were some prime examples on BBC news earlier tonight. Massive amounts of water on the road and still doing 50/60mph down dual carraigeways with gaps between cars being less than required for IDEAL conditions.

But when they're caught out and in an accident it won't be their fault :roll:

i was amazed how few people had their lights on earlier it was as gloomy as hell-u would think that seeing other cars with their lights on would make them think about their own!!

Putting on your own lights doesn't help you to see other cars.

It helps other people to see your car, but some people don't care about that; and a disturbingly large number, nowadays, are so completely unaware of the concept of "other people's problems" that it would never occur to them to worry about what anyone else can see. (As opposed to selfish people, who know other people need them to put their lights on, but don't care.)

The worrying thing is people driving without lights.

Massive ammounts of spray and rain, and you can barely see the headlights of the car behind.

Then you make out the shape of a car with no lights, riding on your tail lights.

They are driving in tropical storm conditions, no lights, up your arse, hiding behind the fellows behind lights.

I would say summary execution at the roadside to be the penalty.

Others may disagree.

Yes it's very strange .It seems when we get adverse weather it tends to make some drivers very selfish towards other drivers ,courtesy goes out of the window for some reason.

I'm not sure that (some) drivers are any more selfish than normal in bad weather; perhaps it's just more noticeable. Tailgating someone at 50mph in wet weather is a lot more dangerous than doing the same in dry, but the "amount of selfishness" is arguably the same in both cases.

Putting on your own lights doesn't help you to see other cars.

It helps other people to see your car, but some people don't care about that; and a disturbingly large number, nowadays, are so completely unaware of the concept of "other people's problems" that it would never occur to them to worry about what anyone else can see. (As opposed to selfish people, who know other people need them to put their lights on, but don't care.)

Fully agree! There are far too many drivers out there who think that the only reason cars have headlights is to allow them to see where they're going once it gets dark :loopy:

Archived