Does anybody remember the harvest festivals in primary schools?

The ones where you would pack up a few odd bits like canned food or paper and toys and put them in a shoebox to send to a poor country?

Does this still happen? I'm asking as I've been thinking of sending some odd bits to the poorer countries.

haha yes I remember them in primary school in the 1970s. I don't know what happened to the food. Kids used to bring loaves of bread and other perishable items, like offerings to the Harvest God. Not sure what happened to those. They wouldn't have looked too good, by the time they got mailed off in a shoebox, and then opened up in Africa a month later.

but then the whole school calendar, and especially the six week holiday thing, is based on the harvest in the days when the economy was much more agricultural than it is now. The idea behind it was that the kids had to have a long period off in the late summer so as to enable them to help with the harvest work.

My mum used to get things like canned food, toothbrushes and toothpaste to send away. I can't remember what else. We'd always take a shoebox and I think it would go at the front of the hall then a few days later it would get sent off.

I do wonder if some schools still do it though.

I've still got a Photo taken outside Ecclesfield Church around 1961 ....A large group of Pupils from Ecco Juniors ( including myself ) are lined up against the Main Entrance carrying boxes of Fruit an' Veg..:)

My primary school did it (we're talking mid 90's) so fairly recently.

The church I attend also still does it - think the food mostly ends up with the Archer project but can't recall for sure.

Did everyone else also sing harvest songs? 'Autumn Days', anyone?

My primary school did it (we're talking mid 90's) so fairly recently.

The church I attend also still does it - think the food mostly ends up with the Archer project but can't recall for sure.

Did everyone else also sing harvest songs? 'Autumn Days', anyone?

I used to love Autumn time even more for singing songs like that, oh the joys of being a child.

Archived