Proper Letter Writing

When writing a letter, the general way for me is to put my details in top right corner with the reciprocant on the left side below mine.

Now does it matter if I put my name above my address on my details even if I have it below the signature strip at bottom, think it looks too fussy having to write it twice but I may be wrong, also, how and where should I put dates, phone numbers and what the letter is referring to like the subject matter of a job so to speak.

Are there any templates available to view which will be able to show a proper letter layout and are there any things to avoid when writing a cover letter for example?

Should I have my contact details in block capitals as I think that looks much better compared to leading capitals.

Reading this post got me thinking about the lost art of writing a letter these days with computers being commonplace who needs to write.I cannot remember the last time i had to write anything apart from a cheque,most forms say block capitals only or please print clearly etc.

You use cheques,what century are you living in ?

i have to write one a year to a well known firm of Sheffield solicitors for the princely sum of £7.It eventually arrives in the back pocket of the Duke of Norfolk.

i have to write one a year to a well known firm of Sheffield solicitors for the princely sum of £7.It eventually arrives in the back pocket of the Duke of Norfolk.

Why don't you do bank transfer?

Archived