Proper Letter Writing

i have to write one a year to a well known firm of Sheffield solicitors for the princely sum of £7.It eventually arrives in the back pocket of the Duke of Norfolk.

Why don't you do bank transfer?

Yes. The payment sounds like a ground rent, payable by the leaseholder of a house to the freehold reversioner, and most freehold reversioners are delighted if leaseholders agree to pay by BACS or Standing Order.

I clicked on the link, and then saw it was an American website. So immediately dismissed it. Not being harsh, but they don't even spell things the same way as we do! :suspect:

it was supposed to be a template not a custom letter service

it was supposed to be a template not a custom letter service

Yes I realise that, but Americans do things differently to us in the UK, and I'm pretty sure letter layouts is something they do differently.

It's one of the problems with google, unless you have the settings right to only search for UK things.

Strangely my version of google, doesn't seem to have the UK only option as it once did. But it's probably hidden somewhere on the page, but I've never managed to find it!

I remember learning how to write letters at school. We also had to practise handwriting with fountain pens, but I think maybe that was just something to fill the time and keep us quiet :hihi:

We used to write proper letters at school too as part of English Lessons. I wrote one to C & A Modes, 59/65 High Street, Sheffield asking for a job just before I left school. I had a week off and then started there as a junior.:)

You use cheques,what century are you living in ?

I still use cheques too and will stop using them when they bring back the Pension Book....:roll:

We used to write proper letters at school too as part of English Lessons. I wrote one to C & A Modes, 59/65 High Street, Sheffield asking for a job just before I left school. I had a week off and then started there as a junior.:)

I still use cheques too and will stop using them when they bring back the Pension Book....:roll:

I remember I used to have entire lessons devoted to handwriting, and that was in addition to English lessons. It was absolutely meticulous, and stood me in good stead for the rest of my life, although nowadays, I don't handwrite things nearly as much as I used to.

Although I do tend to write a bit slowly, because I like it to be neat and tidy and legible. There's a classic story I tell where I went into a chinese takeaway, and ordered 2 meals, and paid by cheque. The meal was ready on the counter before I had finished writing the cheque!!! :hihi:

I still write letters to several friends in different parts of the world. I send the odd email to them usually with news of something that has happened that day, but will probably reiterate it when I write to them.

I also like to use a fountain pen when writing, I think it make me make more of an effort rather than quickly scrawl a letter, I do use cartridges rather than ink though. I don't know if you can still get ink.

I also still use the odd cheque along with my debit card and I use internet banking too, so I do appreciate technology, but also like to keep some traditional things alive.

No I am not in my dotage I am 54.

Kind of gone off topic a bit, going on a few tangents.

Yep it probably has, a tad!

When writing a letter, the general way for me is to put my details in top right corner with the reciprocant on the left side below mine.

Now does it matter if I put my name above my address on my details even if I have it below the signature strip at bottom, think it looks too fussy having to write it twice but I may be wrong, also, how and where should I put dates, phone numbers and what the letter is referring to like the subject matter of a job so to speak.

Are there any templates available to view which will be able to show a proper letter layout and are there any things to avoid when writing a cover letter for example?

Should I have my contact details in block capitals as I think that looks much better compared to leading capitals.

Ok, back on topic. Whether it's politically correct or not, here's how I would do it.

Address top right (no name) but telephone number email and mobile quite acceptable under the address

Recipient left aligned.

Date underneath the recipients address

Subject Centred and possibly bold under the addressee.

Covering letter avoid waffle. Just say please see attached CV, unless you need to clarify how previous experience is tranferable to the job being applied for.

Hope that helps!

Archived