UK’s aging population

You do realise that "economically inactive" includes retired millionaires, people too ill to work, and those who are busy raising families?

It includes everyone of working age that doesn't work, obviously they can't all work but many of the benefits claimants can and should, probably about 4 million of them before we need to import more workers.

There are 1.8 people working now for every pensioner and economically inactive person, all we need to do is get the economically inactive into work and off benefits and there isn't a problem. Whilst ever we have unemployed, increasing the population can only make the problem worse.
..and if your figure is correct it's even more damning-those 1.8 people cannot generate enough income to support themselves and their families plus the pension and social/health welfare requirements of retirees or those to ill too work.

We have also over resent years pushed 16 year olds into further education so getting them into work at 16 will also alleviate the problem.

Getting them into work doing what?

..and if your figure is correct it's even more damning-those 1.8 people cannot generate enough income to support themselves and their families plus the pension and social/health welfare requirements of retirees or those to ill to work.

Getting them into work doing what?

Finally you accept increasing the population is making matter worse.

More interesting still is the assumption is that just because the government want us to work past 65 it doesn't mean they physically can work past 65. I know some old folk who are 70 and I can't keep up with and others, whilst alive and, I guess, happy, couldn't work if they wanted to.

Anyway, isn't this generation all lardy and won't outlive the older generation ? I'm sure panorama did summat about this.

Not by that comment, he doesn't; he's just asking you to supply some missing information.

He's accepting that we can't employ the people we already have, so if we increase the population and the amount of people of working age, we just had to the problem of dependency and solve nothing. We will just have more pensioners and more economically inactive people, and the same amount of people trying to support them both.

More interesting still is the assumption is that just because the government want us to work past 65 it doesn't mean they physically can work past 65. I know some old folk who are 70 and I can't keep up with and others, whilst alive and, I guess, happy, couldn't work if they wanted to.

Anyway, isn't this generation all lardy and won't outlive the older generation ? I'm sure panorama did summat about this.

Both good points whilst some old people can work longer, other can't, obviously the ones that can and don't have the funds to support themselves should work longer.

And yes it is likely that has we get fatter all their predictions about us living longer could well be wrong.

He's accepting that we can't employ the people we already have,

How do you arrive at that conclusion? There's 1.8 people for every pensioner (you say), that isn't enough to support them from taxation revenue.

Archived